Incest-related novels?

Are there any out there as good as Flowers in the Attic? I really care about the characters and I cry and suffer right along with them.

I read Into the Forest by Jean Hegland awhile ago, and it was excellent. Incest wasn't the main topic but it was touched upon.

Yes, I know incest is wrong and a serious topic. I like to read about murder and vampires, and taboo subjects, but none of it makes its way into my real life. I have very high morals.

Favorite Answer

I don't know very many but here a few I can think of:

'Middlesex' - Jeffrey Eugenides (it's not about an incestuous relationship but touches upon one frequently)

'The Other Sleep' - Julian Green (a really beautiful book)

'Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle' - Vladimir Nabokov (a friend just kindly told me about this very recently and I'm reading it now and really like it)

'The Cement Garden' - Ian McEwan

'The Magic Toyshop' - Angela Carter (this is a really lovely book and one of my favourites, it's not 'about' an incestuous relationship but involves one)

Anais Nin's unexpurgated diaries claim that she had an incestuous relationship with her father.

'The Kiss' - Kathryn Harris (I've never read this one)

'The Color Purple' - Alice Walker (this has incest but in a more upsetting way, not so much an exploration of the relationship, etc)

'Incest' - Marquis de Sade (I'm sure you know what to expect from this)

'Les Enfants Terribles' - Jean Cocteau (this is a truly amazing book too, and is not overtly incestuous, but has an unusually close relationship between siblings)

I also just saw the Bertolucci film 'La Luna', which is up on youtube actually, and has incest between a mother and son. There is also a small film on youtube called 'Starcrossed', about 12 minutes long, about two brothers.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Incest-related novels?

Source(s): incest related novels: https://bitly.im/jmRfN

Sounds great. Some of the best novels that I've read have themes of incest- Hamlet, Anitgone, The Sound and the Fury, Invisible Man-- the list goes on and on. It sounds like you have a great story planned out and you should just run with it! :D

The book Sybil, about a woman with dissociative identity disorder, touches upon it - the mother is schizophrenic and feels the need to punish her young daughter sexually (basically raping her with objects, etc), and the main character develops an oedipal complex later on in her life.

That's the only book I've read with any sort of incest in it, sorry.

• minko

Incest Novels

I've not read it but I heard that the book by Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye contains a scene with incest.

While not strictly incest, Nabokov's novel "Lolita" deals with a man who marries a woman to get to her daughter (she then legally becomes his daughter after the mother dies, and they have a prolonged sexual relationship).

Anais Nin's diaries are something else someone mentioned, and I have to agree... though she does write "erotica", and I think her diaries get graphic. I also think the volumes that entail incest are the more popular ones--just look it up on Amazon.com or something. :)

Anything by Angela Carter, especially The Magic Toyshop. Also Wise Children

Try "The Temple of My Familiar" by Alice Walker....it had alot of incest going on in there.

Also, if you've never read it, "The Color Purple" also by Alice Walker-MUCH better than the movie or play....

My answer to your question, no, I don't know any 'good' books about incest.

Why don't you try,

'The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Sexual Abuse,' by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis...

or

'Daddy's Apprentice: Incest, Corruption, and Betrayal: A Survivor's Story,' by Sandy Wilson and S.L Bolton.