What is emo?

Maybe I really am getting old when I can't keep up with slang and modern terminology, but I have no flippin idea what this word means. I've seen it used in a couple different references but none of them alike enough to make a determination as to its definition.

Is it just a group word like "burnout" or "goth". Is it the same group that was basically metal and black and dark eyeliner or are they a totally new breed?

Favorite Answer

Emos are usually emotionally unstable, may cut themselves, cry a lot, listen to sad, emo music (usually quite heavy but with depressing lyrics), wear mainly back and pink, checks and studded belts.

• oriol

I'm emo/goth sure there's a change and I'm a mixture of each... My dad calls me emish, I'm looking forward to that to seize on haha... Emos are satisfactory the form rocks at the side of the style in tune and surely emo is created by means of tough lives or pasts nonetheless, this does not imply we're continually unhappy and depressed we do smile!!

it is a totally new breed made from the outcast of all others . The word itself is short for emotional. It is the whinny kids that think they have problems, but not really. It also can be associated with a type of clothing, the boys normally have black eye liner and the hair going across the face. The girls normally look similar to the boys, but wear more color. It also has music that drives from it.

Emo kids are usually middle class/upper middle class white kids between the ages of 12-19, but sometimes they're as old as mid 20s, believe it or not. They don't want to grow up. They complain a lot, whine, talk about how much they hate their parents while spending their huge allowances at the mall. They tend to wear really ugly skinny jeans, Converse shoes, and they dye their hair black. Vegetarianism/veganism is trendy for them. They're like a combination of cheesy goths and fake punks... except sometimes they're even worse then that.

"Emo" is short for "emotional." So if an emo hears about a school shooting or finds out that impure water kills about 14,000,000 people a day, 11,000,000 of themn children under 5 years old(which is actually true) then they will overreact and cut themselves or take too many pills or compose a really depressing song.

• Sarah*

Emo is a cheap form of goth. It's when kids wear all black and black makeup. They listen to "emo" music and are depressed and suicidal.

the original word is Emotional, it's a music genre and a way of life.

emo people are people that follow a lifestyle that revolves around emotional music...we like black and pink clothing,studs,fishnets etc....and people wrongly assume that we all cut ourselves and want to start a school shooting.

emo= mostly of the ppl who use this world are bi-polar and doesnt have control themselve about feelings.

Source(s): i am like this

it's short for emotional

think of bands like AFI

and haircuts that cover only one eye