Getting braces when you are 19 years old?

It really sucks... is there any hope for me, or will the next two years of my life be wasted forever?

Favorite Answer

Getting braces will be one of the best things that you do. Teeth make such a first impression and you will never be sorry that you had braces. Hang in there.

Braces are not a big deal. People get braces in their late 20's, 30's.... even 40's. Two years will fly by, you'll be fine don't worry.

My sister in law had her's put on during Law School. She was five years older than you. Her sister, who is 50, is wearing them now, and their other sister had her's put on when she was about 35.

Go for it. Get it out of the way. If you think it will be hard to be taken seriously if you are 19 and wearing braces, think how hard it will be sitting across from a client or patient wearing them.

Good luck.

They're very good for your health---they keep the teeth straight and help work out problems with your jaws. I had to wear them for five years to correct a congenital problem with my jaw once I quit growing, and everything worked out wonderfully!

I will give you a bit of advice though--don't use whitening toothpaste with braces. You'll end up with white spots where the brackets were.

Good luck!

• Sarah*

I'm just trying to imagine a 21 year old with braces

On the contrary - the next two years will be a great investment for all the years that follow! Wear your braces with pride - they are very fashionable nowadays. Your attitude is everything. Carry it off with panache!

I wish you luck! :-)

There's lots of hope :) Tons of people get braces in their 30's...you are much better off doing it now!

• kny390

You will survive and will end up with a mouth that you can be proud of. Nice teeth are a benefit in the corporate world.

don't worry.one of my mother's friends got her braces at 40

oh but think just how great you'll be looking when you're done..its worth it and you can get lots of empathy when going through the process...2 years is a drop in the bucket...timewise...