Kaite asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

How do I make my guitar sound kick ***?

I'm tryin to learn how to really rock out and I want that cool distorted sound when I play. Thanks for any help or advice!

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

by tuning it.

chin

• Paul H
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

OK... this subject could fill a book (and probably does) but as an amplifier collector I can help you out here. There is a TON of stuff to know about this particular topic, so I will try to stick to the basics. First of all, there is NO substitute for the sound of overdriven power TUBES! You need to have a TUBE amplifier - one with pre-amp tubes AND power tubes. There are different kinds of both, and how they are set up makes a big difference. What type of electric guitar you have makes a difference, what type of pickups you use and what type of speakers you are going through also makes a difference. A decent new tube amp can cost about $500 or more, but you can find good used ones for less. The great ones are usually on the pricey side and can cost as much as $3,000 or more... but they sound GREAT if they are set up right! There are reviews of different amplifiers on the "Harmony Central" website, and you can learn what a variety of amplifiers are by checking the Ebay "amplifiers" pages of the "musical instruments" section ("guitar"). Start by sorting them from the "most expensive" and work your way down. That way you can learn what the high priced gear is, and why it costs so much. You really need to try your guitar with the amp you will be trying out and you need to work with it for a while - adjusting the tone controls at different volume settings, etc. If you have an experienced guitar playing buddy ask them about amps, and you can email me for even more information. Rock on!

p.s. distortion pedals are a cheap way to do this, but they will NOT sound as cool as overdriven TUBES... they just can't... Fords and Ferraris are both cars... which one would you rather own?

Source(s): I'm an electric guitar player that LOVES a great overdriven tube amp sound!
  • 1 decade ago

Here's the deal... If you wanted that heavy distorted sound, your best bet is to hook up with some kind of effects processor. With one of those, you can make the sound you're looking for and store it permanently. They're great for creating and recording music, but not so much practical for live performance application unless you have all the presets preplanned to where they need to be stored. Hope this has helped you a bit...oh, and don't listen to the tard above, Slash is a joke. You'd be wasting your time if you based any of your playing around him. Hook up with some Avenged Sevenfold and listen to Synyster Gates. Ever seen Slash do an arpeggio sweep? Didn't think so...

• 1 decade ago

Learn to play, then if you have two volume knobs and one tone and a toggle switch, turn one volume to zero and the other to ten (keep the tone at ten too) then the toggle switch will act as a killl switch. Start rubbing the strings while movin the toggle switch, or do some hammer-ons. That is what Tom Morello does and it is really cool. (You also need a Digitech Whammy Pedal)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

An amp with a gain knob will make it sound distorted. You can also use foot effects or a rack processor. A rack pocessor will give you different distortions, plus many other effects.

• 1 decade ago

You should go down to your local music store and buy a effects petal for your guitar. They have different kinds, such as: distortion, overdrive, fuzz, and wah wah just to name a few. Check this site out for different kinds of petals: http://www.buzzfox.com/

They even have audio samples, so you can hear what they sound like. Hope this helps.

• FF
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

you probably don't have distortion in you amp. go to the guitar store and pick up a good distortion box pedal for metal rock. i use "boss" you can adjust your sound using the box to get that kickin sound, cost about 100.00 bucks for a good one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well depending on how versitile an amp you have it should be easy, tinker with the gain settings...otherwise pedals are always nice, but keep in mind at lot of the sound you hear in music is dudes using thousands of dollars worth of equipment as well, and its all doctored in studio, etc...

Source(s): guitar player, formerly in a band...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

does your amp have effects.?? if not get a distortion pedel,,or an effects box,,,most of your cool sounds come from effects,like reverb,,distortion,things like that.. some comes from the way you play,like palm muting,or harmonics...chorus adds a nice sound too

• 1 decade ago

Whammy Bars make the sound distort.

• 1 decade ago

Get a BOSS MT-2 metal zone pedal...I've had mine for 9 years and it kicks a*s

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.