I think... asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

What's the best way to keep a bird with five pet cats?

I would like to get a bird, but we have four - no, five - cats. Each of my sibblings (plus my mother) have a pet, and my dad is finally thinking of letting me get a bird.

We'd keep him in my room, of course, and not allow any of the cats to go in there. Any other suggestions?

• Favorite Answer

Well, you really need to think about this. Birds are A LOT of work (personal experience, I have a cockatiel :]) They are extremely messy, loud, and picky. They need showers, proper diets with fruits and veggies, a certified avian vet (with trips that cost over $200 each visit) lots of attention, "out" time, and care, expensive toys, perches and foods, and a large ( and usually very expensive)cage (the bigger the better). I highly suggest that you subscirbe to BIRD TALK, it is a fantastic magazine about bird care. Also, you can find a certified avian vet near you here: http://www.aav.org/vet-lookup/ If you do decide to get a bird, you must ALWAYS keep the cats away and never have the bird out without supervision. You need to watch very closely if the cat and bird are together. A sturdy cage would not help because the cats could knock it down or stick it's paws in there and try to catch the bird. Most importantly, the cat and bird can NEVER be in the same room together unsupervised. Good luck!

Well I have an African Greay Parrot and 3 cats in a house and the cats are fine with him. Thing is though my cats have always been raised with small animals around so they know not to touch them ever, or else the get a squirt of water in the face! What you could do though is have a spray bottle in your room, and while you're in your room leave the door open and make sure you either teach the cats to have no interest in the cage by spraying them every time they do, or every time they even come in your room at all they get sprayed. So if the door gets left open by accident one time possibly won't go in the room. Hard to say like i said with my cats they were raised that way there whole life. Worth a try though (=.

we have 4 cats and 2 birds. As well as 4 dogs, 2 snakes and a rabbit. They all live together fine.

I've always lived by the notion that "the more the merrier", plus the knowledge that birds bite. Also my cats are all declawed, so that is helpful.

It just takes patience and being careful.

Keep your birds cage up high (they like it high anyways). Try socializing the cats with teh bird. Get them used to the bird.

A good sturdy cage, make sure it can't be knocked over easily. I have two cats and seven parakeets, the cats always try to get to the cage but its ontop of the mantel which is 6ft high, they don't just up there.

my cat will go after birds outside but she never goes after the birds in the house??? I have 2 parakeets and she is left alone with them all the time......I do have the cage hanging up high...

Birds+Cats=Bad.

My only suggestion is what you said, Make sure to ALWAYS keep your door closed when you're not in your room and Keep the bird in the cage unless you close your door.

• Cheese

Birds are social animals.they need to be around people as much as possible.To shut them in a room in a cage is cruel.They are also easily frightened.Instinctivly they are afraid of cats,so why subject them to all those cats?What if someone leaves your door open and a cat gets in there?It's really irresponsible to get a pet that will get less than excellent care.Do you know that birds are very messy,that they need their wings and nails clipped on a regular basis,that they need constant interaction from humans to be happy?Get a bird when you are out on your own,and have no predetors to scare them.I hope you take my advice.

Source(s): My name says it all

Keep the bird in a cage and the cats in their own house outside.

A sturdy bird cage - hanging from the ceiling.