What kind of cheese goes with Merlot?

I am bringing wine and cheese over to a friend's house; What kind of cheese would go well with it?

Favorite Answer

Turning leaf web site has a basic wine and food pairing wheel that offers very broad pairing suggestions.

For cheese with Merlot it suggests goat cheeses or aged cheeses. Not soft or blue.

http://www.sanmartinowinery.com/wine_food.htm

Try this link. In the left side bar of this site there is a link to the pairing wheel. Enjoy.

Edit: Don't ask at the deli for food and wine pairings, ask at a fine wine shop. Someplace where the staff ar helpful and knowledgeable.

• Kat H

Something kind of sharp like swiss would be good. I just had some Merlot the other night and it seemed a sharp smooth cheese would go well. Ask at the counter. Maybe the deli person will know the best kind.

Merlot is a very full flavor, so you might want to couple it with something less aggressive.

My suggestions are mozerella, farmer's cheese (yes, that's what it's called. it has a pleasant, mellow flavor), or swiss like the person above me suggested. I'm not so sure about the salty..

Best of luck!!

I like a French cheese called Cantal with a full bodied red wine.

Ricotta Affumicata Carnica

wine and cheese are alike. as justin wilson would say; the kind of wine you like, is the kind you serve, the same go'es for cheese.

Kraft Singles

Any cheese go with any red wine.

Try a Havarti,it tastes similar to swiss but it's much richer

asiago, white stilton with lemon zest, triple-cream brie, celtic cheddar, light munster, smoked mozzerela, Mobay