Lara D
Lv 4
Lara D asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Are monkey nuts the same as peanuts?

I understand monkey nuts are the ones which be in the shell and u break the shell and out come two or three peanuts yeah

I love eating them both but I'm not sure whether they are the same thing. So if they are different then why do they call the shell ones monkey nuts???

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Peanuts are also known as earthnuts, goobers, goober peas, pindas, jack nuts, pinders, manila nuts and monkey nuts (the last of these is often used to mean the entire pod, not just the seeds).

peanut = groundnut = monkey nut = goober = goober pea

i think its just another name for peanut

• 1 decade ago

The peanut, or groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) is a species in the legume family Fabaceae native to South America. It is an annual herbaceous plant growing to 30 to 50 cm (1 to 1 1/2 feet) tall. The leaves are opposite, pinnate with four leaflets (two opposite pairs; no terminal leaflet), each leaflet 1 to 7 cm (1/3 to 2.75 inches) long and 1 to 3 cm (1/3 to 1 inch) broad. The flowers are a typical peaflower in shape, 2 to 4 cm (3/4 to one and a half inches) across, yellow with reddish veining. After pollination, the fruit develops into a legume 3 to 7 cm (1 to 2 inches) long containing 1 to 3 (rarely 4) seeds, which forces its way underground to mature.

Although a nut in the culinary sense, in the botanical sense the fruit of the peanut is a woody, indehiscent legume or pod and not technically a nut.

Peanuts are also known as earthnuts, goobers, goober peas, pindas, jack nuts, pinders, manila nuts and monkey nuts (the last of these is often used to mean the entire pod, not just the seeds).

SEE LINK for complete info

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.