is my fish dying?

My beta fish is acting really strage. I bought him about a year ago and he seemed fine until this morning. He stays laying sideways on the bottom of the tank and doesnt even care about anything. If i tap the side of the tank he doesnt even care. He only moves when the water moves. I have a lamp above the water and I have somewhat warm water. Please help!! I love my fish and dont want him to die!

Favorite Answer

I had a similar experience and my beloved Betta boy died on the 6th of this month and I am still heart broken. Here's my old post on YA maybe there's something in here that matches your problem.

My betta fish, Miikun, started to spit out his food and gradually stopped eating altogether around Thanksgiving. It's almost 3 weeks and he won't eat, he breathes heavily and stays at the bottom of his tank, only going up for a gulp of air every 5-10 minutes or so. I've tested his water and everything was good except the ammonia was a light green on the mardel test strip, 0.25, instead of 0 (yellow). His gills also bled a little when I put him into a hospital tank. I completely changed his water gradually over a week and retested, ammonia was 0. Here's the info on his tank conditions: I've had him 5 months so far, He lives in a 5 gallon plastic tank with a mechanical topfin filter that I keep clean. Temp. is 78-80 degrees. No real plants, algae has been a problem but I always clean the things in his tank in dechlorinated water when algae builds up. Aquarium salt in tank, lots of back-up meds, Phsically looks healthy. He eats pellets, flakes, and bloodworms when he was healthy. What can I do to help him?

Additional Details

4 days ago

Miikun's body is physically healthy looking, no ich, no fin rot, his abdomen is not bloated, no velvet, his color is still gorgeous, but the more he goes without eating, the weaker he's been getting. He's starting to struggle a bit just to swimp to the top of the tank and take a gulp of air. When he bled it was a small puddle under him coming from his gills. If it was ammonia poisoning and he's now in clean water, he isn't perking up. I even e-mailed BettaTalk's expert Faith and she saw pics and said he looks good physically. This is truly mysterious and I am sad to see my betta boy suffering each day, only growing weaker. If anyone out there is an expert please, tell me what could be wrong cause I have already weeded out just about everything, except maybe fish Tuburculosis, or cancer, or just...old age? Miikun's fate lies in the answer ;.; (He was laying on his side at the bottom by this point, like your fish is).

4 days ago

I originally thought that by virtue of having a filter in the tank I wouldn't have to do many water changes. I was truly ignorant, and I know that it's not good to break down the tank and totally clean it because it removes the good nitrifying bacteria, I thought just keeping the filter clean was enough. I didn't know about ammonia and I had nothing to test for it even though I have tests for PH, Nitrates, Nitrite, Alkalinity, and Hardness. I only put 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt in his tank when I set it up, no more than that, just as a preventative for ich ect. It's difficult to know what to do when so many different people have completely contradictory info. Like to use salt or not use salt, water change with filter or no need cause filter does the job. Also I read that live bloodworms can give the fish parasites. I wish I had clear answers so I stop making mistakes that can cost my fish his life! Thank you all who gave me advice so far.

This was the sad end result, even though I had done everything I possibly could.

It's too late...Miikun just died, right after I returned from petsmart with a java fern and bloodworms for him T_T I think the answer was this: It wasn't bad tank conditions, it wasn't bacterial or parasitic, he had something internally wrong with him, like cancer or something since he bled from him gills. No meds could cure him, nor could perfect water conditions. My heart is broken that I couldn't find the answers and I couldn't save him even though I did everything I was supposed to do. May Miikun rest in peace ;_;

So if you are indeed in this situation, and you attempt to treat your fish with antibiotics as I did but it doesn't work, you try cleaning his tank but that doesn't work, and he doesn't eat for up to 3 weeks, he will die. I'm very sorry for you and your poor betta. If he has any physical signs of disease you can diagnose them on www.BettaTalk.com, since Faith posted pics for almost all of the diseases. If he looks healthy and his water conditions are good he may have cancer, something internal, or it could be old age. Bettas can live from 2-5 years old, but the average is 2. When you buy them they can be 8 months to a year old already. I hope any of this info has helped you and just pray for him and try not to stress him out much when you decide on what to do for him. Good luck ;.;

Source(s): personal experience, www.BettaTalk.com, Aquaria Central forums

four gallon of water per inch of fish is the rule for setting up a tank this allows space for them to find there own territory and room to grow also en ought oxygen as they ex hail carbon witch stays in the water for along time also have an under gravel filter this makes friendly bacteria to digest waste you should start with a twenty gallon tank if you want to keep fish don't be fobbed off with cheep novelty tanks you should have a heater this keeps the water constant tropicals like 80 to 83 degrees & gold fish dont mind

He sounds like he is in pretty hard shape unfortunatly. My last betta did this before he died.

What size tank is he in? When was the last time you changed his water?

You can try changing his water (making sure it is the same temperature) to see if that helps. Add a little sea salt/aquarium salt too (not table salt).

I would change his water. Make sure you put something in to take out the chlorine and add stress coat.

See if that helps.

Also give him a good look for any signs of disease!

Well, how long has it been since you have fed him? Did you overfeed him? Are his gills moving? Is the tank clean? Is the filter running? Did you remove an air pump if he had one? Consider purchasing an air pump- that might help. Stay with him today, and just PRAY!

Source(s): Fish tank of my own, and several near death experiences

you fish if it a she it will have a lots af tadpole but you will have ti put the little fish one in a anther fishtank so they don't get eat-tion like food but it may need a mate or it loney and bord or sick but don't have it out in the air and tranfer to a conter used a bag that the same water it in to be safe to the pet shop or talk to a vet about it.

I don't know much of bettas but I think this link can help you out.

http://www.bettabite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f...

He's ethier dead or has a swim bladder problem.fast him for a few days like 2 and feed him a lil bit. if he doesn't eat he's probably dead.

maybe he not use to live in the tank.