what can you do with a bachlors of psychology? Should you just get your docterate? is a BA pointless?

• Anne R
    Favorite Answer

From what I have read, people who don't go on from the BA level and want to work in their degree area often end up working in rehabilitation or prison facilities. But if you go on for an MA and a counseling certification, such as the one for marriage and family therapy, then you can have a private practice. There are a lot more options at the masters level than there used to be because insurance companies don't always want to pay for a Dr. now. And instead of a PhD., another option is the PsyD, which is less research-based and appeals to a lot of people who don't want to be researchers or professors, but strictly psychologists. Look on sites like princetonreview.com and college psych department websites, there are some pretty good career profiles out there with information about the educational side and also things like salary.

Source(s): My own research, I'm studying to become a psychologist.
  • Cory W

BA at best gets you the title of social worker, going for more schooling is best, being at the top would be psychiatrist.