Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

how to convert a wood burning fireplace to a gas fireplace?

12 Answers

  • Favorite Answer

    You have two options.

    The inexpensive / cosmetic option is to have the gas installer (usually a plumber) run a gas line to your fireplace, and use gas logs, but make no other changes. The gas logs will burn gas plus air from your home (like the wood burning fireplace) and exhaust up the chimney (like your wood burning fireplace). This solution is appropriate for people who do not need to use the fireplace for heat, and want to use the gas logs mostly for how they look - mostly, I suspect, people who live in apartments or in the South.

    Up North, the more expensive, but much more energy efficient option is to install a direct vent gas fireplace insert. This is a metal box that slips into your existing masonry fireplace. Two 3 inch diameter flexible pipes run down your chimney and connect to the top of the insert. One of them brings in outside air for combustion, the other takes the exhaust back up the chimney. The front of the box is sealed so you can see the flame, but no household air is burned (and therefore doesn't go up the chimney). Heat is distributed into the house by circulating around the outside of the insert through louvers designed into the insert. Some inserts also use an electric blower to improve room air circulation.

    In both cases (logs and inserts), you'll need the gas line run to the fireplace. If you use an insert with a blower, you'll need to run a electric outlet to the fireplace, too. The folks who sell you the insert can advise about permits necessary - in our part of the country the installer does the electric and the gas and no permit is required. Larger cities will have more stringent requirements.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago


    Source(s): Woodworking Techniques
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Contact a store that specializes in fireplaces. Direct Vent Gas fireplaces are great and ADD heat and comfort to the house. Do not use Ventless products. Electric inserts will also work, however remember that if the power goes out, so does your electric fireplace. A fireplace shop will either measure your exisitng unit or tell you how to measure for an insert. Direct Vent inserts are sealed units, very safe and efficient. Most are rated around 80 efficient.

    Source(s): fireplace experience
  • 5 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.


    how to convert a wood burning fireplace to a gas fireplace?

    Source(s): convert wood burning fireplace gas fireplace:
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    It is best to purchase a fireplace insert or ready made gas log. You will need to get a plumber to run a gas line but all the installation is simple and should not be overly expensive. Your local home center (Lowe's , Home Depot ,etc ) can help with picking your insert and in recomending a good contractor

  • 1 decade ago

    You will need to buy a gas fireplace insert to install into opening of your existing fireplace. You could easily do the installation of the insert but ensure you have a qualified gas fitter connect your gas line, or at least inspect your connection if you are really handy.

    Check your local gas fireplace supply store, (I use Napoleon myself) to see what is available.

    Hey you could even buy electric fireplace inserts.

    Good luck

  • 7 years ago

    I know the original question is dated but here's a guide to convert from gas to electric. Pretty simple and straight-forward.

  • 5 years ago

    If you are planning to start on your woodworking project, this isn't something you should use, it's something that you would be insane not to. Go here

    Truth is, I've been a carpenter for almost 36 years, and I haven't found anything like this for less than 10's of thousands of dollars.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    run a gas line, and buy one of those ceramic log sets.. a natural fireplace is alot nicer..i love mine

  • john t
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    this should not be a major fix if u have gas. first i this a prefab or masonry unit? second can u get a gas supply to the unit at miniual cost. third call a plumber to run you black pipe to either unit u have then a mason if u need brick, stove etc repair.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.