Meanings for K
* In accounting and investment banking, K = 1000 (similar to the use in the SI system below).
* In astronomy,
o K stands for an orangish class of stars in the Morgan-Keenan system.
o K is a provisional designation prefix for any comet, asteroid, or minor planet discovered between May 16 and 31 of a year.
o in infrared astronomy, the K-band is the region around 2.2 µm wavelength.
* In baseball, K is the abbreviation for a swinging strikeout. (A backwards K is the symbol for a "looking" strikeout in baseball scorekeeping.) The letter K is also commonly used, particularly in boxscores and other contexts that don't distinguish between swinging and looking strikeouts, to indicate a strikeout of any kind.
* In biochemistry, K is the symbol for the amino acid lysine.
* In Boolean algebra, a K-map is an abbreviation for a Karnaugh map.
* In chemistry,
o K is the symbol for potassium (from its Latin name kalium).
o K is the symbol for the equilibrium constant.
o k is the symbol for the reaction rate constant.
o K is the symbol for temperature in degrees kelvin.
* In chess, K is a notation symbol for the king piece.
* In the CMYK color model, K stands for the color black.
* In commerce, a circled K, Ⓚ, on a food product indicates kosher certification.
* In combinatory logic of computer science, K is the name of a fundamental combinator, the constant function.
* In computing,
o K is a binary prefix meaning 210 = 1,024 (compare with use as a prefix in the SI system below).
o K is an obsolete abbreviation for kilobyte (now kB or KB)
o K also refers to the K programming language.
* In Discordianism, a circled K, Ⓚ, indicates the material is Kopyleft
* In economics, K is the abbreviation for capital.
* In education, K is the abbreviation for kindergarten, as in K-12.
* In engineering, K is an abbreviation denoting a kip (1k = 1000 pound force).
* In English slang, K is an abbreviation for ketamine.
* In film, K is a character played by Tommy Lee Jones in the films Men in Black and Men in Black 2
* In film ratings, K means "content may be suitable for all ages."
* In finance, K is the New York Stock Exchange ticker symbol for the Kellogg Company.
* In Hong Kong slang, K is the abbreviation for karaoke.
* In gold, K is the abbreviation for karat (in the American spelling).
* In international license plate codes, K stands for Cambodia.
* In internet slang, K stands for okay.
* In law, K is a common abbreviation for contract.
* In library science, K is the Library of Congress classification designation for books about law.
* In logic, K is the simplest system of modal logic (K stands for "Kripke").
* In mathematics, Kn denotes the complete graph on n vertices.
* In the logistic model for population growth, K denotes carrying capacity.
* In some motion picture rating systems, K means "content may be suitable for all ages."
* In music, K. numbers identify the compositions of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in the catalog compiled by Ludwig von Köchel (sometimes abbreviated K.V., standing for Köchel-Verzeichnis). K. numbers are also used to identify the compositions of Domenico Scarlatti in the catalog compiled by Ralph Kirkpatrick. K is also an album by Kula Shaker and an independent record company based in Olympia, Washington, co-founded by Calvin Johnson.
* In nutrition, K is a vitamin which is essential in blood coagulation (or, as it is known in German, koagulation, thus the name).
* In physics,
o k is the symbol for the Boltzmann constant.
o k is the symbol for the spring constant in Hooke's law.
o k is In symbol for thermal conductivity.
o k is the symbol for Wavenumber.
* In a deck of playing cards, the letter K is used to mark each of the kings.
* In politics, K refers to the Keskustapuolue (Centre Party of Finland), or to the politics and followers of President of Argentina Néstor Kirchner.
* K can be short for the record label K Records.
* As the first letter of a postal code,
o In Canada, K stands for Eastern Ontario.
* In radio,
o the K band ranges from 12 to 93 GHz
o the NATO K band ranges from 20 to 40 GHz
* In radio communication
o K is one of the ITU prefixes allocated to the United States. K is generally used as the first letter of callsigns allocated to broadcast television or radio stations west of the Mississippi river.
o As a procedural signal, K means "go ahead" or "over".
* In semiconductors, electronics, and physics, it is the symbol for the dielectric constant. See Low-K.
* In the SI system (the metric system),
o k is an SI prefix denoting 103 = 1,000 (one thousand). Consequently, the letter K can be used in spoken conversation to mean "thousand". Compare with use as a binary prefix in computing above. In the case of money, the notation $12k is used for $12,000, not k$12 or 12 k$.
o K is the symbol for the SI base unit for temperature, the kelvin.
* In Slang, K refers to the drug Ketamine
* In World War II, K was the designation for Japanese Navy trainer aircraft.
* In the work of Franz Kafka, the protagonist of The Trial is called Joseph K., and the protagonist of The Castle is called simply K.
* K is usually the beginning letter in Applications designed for KDE, usually due to a deliberate misspelling (e.g., Konqueror)
* In Taiwan, "K書" (literally k the book) means read the book.
* A character in the manga and anime, Gravitation.
· 1 decade ago