Are we "a Christian nation"? What do you think when people say that?

I meant The United States

Favorite Answer

the United States was founded by Deists and Masons. this nation was formed on the basis of separation of Church and State. The man who is sometimes referred to as "the first American", Benjamin Franklin, wrote in a letter to Eriza Styles "As to Jesus, I have some doubts as to his divinity..."

This nation was founded on the ideals of Freedom and democratic Government.

so no, I would not say we are a Christian nation. I would say that we are the home of the free and while our populace may have a Christian majority, the United States of America is not and will never be a Christian nation as long as the 1st amendment is in place.

That they are misinformed and really don't know much about the founding fathers. While it is true that most of the European settlers were Christian, the government set up in the constitution was meant to be nonsectarian, and the model used was based on the Roman Republic which was pagan. The fathers did recognize how the influence of religion was a major flaw in the Roman Republic so they left that part out. Freedom of religion is one of the cornestones of the nation and one of the main reasons people came here and continue to come here.

No, we're a nation with a majority of Christians. Like everything else, that's subject to change. Come back to Yahoo answers in 100 years and your question might be "Estamos un pais islamico?"

When I hear people say that we're a Christian nation I think one of two things: a.) they've got an agenda or b.) they're just plain stupid.

The nation was founded on Christian principles.

The nations predominant religion is Christianity.

So, yes, the United States is a Christian nation.

There's no politically correct way around it, it is what it is.

We have an official separation of church and state in this country, and that has kept us free of religious domination. No religion should ever be in control, and we should never be a Christian nation!!!!

• Eric K

We are a nation with freedom of religion (despite what the ACLU wants) that just happens to be composed of about 70% Christians.

So saying we are a "Christian nation" is not so far off. Its better than being a Muslim nation where women are bought and sold like cattle in my opinion.

I think its stupid and wishful thinking. If the founding fathers wanted to create a theocracy here, it would have happened in the 18th C.

They certainly had the means to do so.

Congress shall make no law establishing a religion.

I think people are wrong, it takes many diverse religions to make a nation great.

I say more Christians better get out and vote so we can stay that way. God Bless America!

Merry Christmas.

At one time I think Christan values were more prominate. But today, no I don't think so.