Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

What's the best way to clean Ear wax? My doctor told me not to use a Q-Tip!?

My Doctor said Q-tips only push the wax futher into the ear and causes more problems.

Favorite Answer

Your doctor is correct (betcha that's a relief!!). He may have also told you that certain people are ''waxers'' (or maybe he didn't). In any event, buy a squirt bottle that, when squeezed, shoots a stream of water. You see them on T.V. when a football player is ''given water'' without removing his helmet / face mask. Keep this bottle in your bath and towards the end of your shower fill it with warm water (by this time the bath or shower you've been taking will have loosened up your ear wax). Tilt your head and direct the squeeze bottle's stream into each ear. The loosened wax should come out. Finish up with a normal ''outer ear cleaning, and you should be good to go.

P.S. Do not use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol mas they can dehydrate your inner ear and cause you you many more problems.

Source(s): LIFE

Hi, hoping your son may be treated now and feeling a whole lot better. But for anyone interested, I used a Q tip in my ear and lost my hearing temporarily. The cotton on the end had come loose and stayed inside my ear. I had the ear specialist remove it but it also became infected and the pain was really bad but as the antibiotics kicked in, the pain slowly dissapeared. My son has grommets in his ears and when wax builds up around these he suffers a lot of pain. My doctor has given him antibiotics but also recommended using a few drops of warm olive oil (pure) into the ear using an eye dropper. I have been doing this twice a day in the week following the doctors advice and this has helped to soften the wax so the grommets can do their job properly. Anyway, just thought I would share this with you all.

There are actually ear wax removers, but the best way is to lay down and pour a small amount of peroxide in the ear. Let it bubble, then tilt your head and drain onto a tissue. The peroxide breaks up the wax and it will come out easily.

• Myst

yeah, my doc said the same thing. trouble with sticking anything else in your ear is that you could also rupture your eardrum, so please don't use paperclips or stuff like that! there is special stuff you can get at Walmart or a store like that, which has products for your ears. not sure of the name of this stuff, but it's on the shelf near the pharmacy, near where there are ear plugs and stuff. it says right on the pkg. that it's for removing ear wax, and it comes with everything you'll need. you could ask at the pharmacy counter too, they'll show you what and where it is. ;) works as well as having the doc remove the ear wax for you.

Yeah, well even the box that Q-tips come in say not to use them to clean inside your ears.

Just one question, what the heck are Q-tips good for otherwise?

There are liquids that can be dropped into your ears and then flushed out with warm water. You can buy this at any local drugstore.

That seems strange that a Q-tip wouldn't work for that isn't that the main purpose they make Q-tips. I use a couple Q-tips after I get out of the shower every time, and I have never had a problem.

And your doctor is right. Wax is normal for the ear and it protects it. Excessive wax on the outside can be removed with a tissue. If you have excessive wax inside our ear you need to get it removed by a doctor.

Best way is to use peroxide (oxigenated water) , If you have a water pick (teledyne) fill the reservoir with the peroxide mixed 50% with lukewarm water and apply directly , you will be hitting the ear canal , no the timpanic membrane so , be patient , and this is a very efficient way of doing it.Maintain the canal clean by gently washing with your shampooo every time you shower .

Source(s): I am a physician.

They have ear wax removal systems in the drug stores, but I would ask my doctor. The docs are so quick to tell us not to use cotton swabs, but never tell us what we can use. I use Q-Tips after I shower because if I don't, my ears will itch inside.

Better you clean it just outside.

The ear wax is a kind of protection.

Use a soft towel after the bath, when wax is soft, and just until your finger can go inside.

Ask your doc abt this.