When did Judaism allow homosexuality?

1) Only Serious responses please.

2) I'm not a bible thumper or hater of homosexuals. Just posing a question.

3) I signed up on the internet for "10 minutes of Torah" and recently received an article wherein Rabbi Justus Baird stated "HUC openly admits gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students, and JTS does not. The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly (of Conservative Rabbis) is meeting very soon to discuss this topic. "

So, when did Judaism allow homosexuality? I have nothing against homosexuals, etc. I'm just curious, because I've never seen anywhere in the old or New Testament that this is considered o.k. So this kind of took me off guard.

Favorite Answer

Stick with traditional (aka Orthodox) Jewish sources.

• Well, the Committee on Jewish Law and Standards in New York left it open. Gay people still can't be ordained, but they may receive blessings in same-sex marriages. Sodomy, however, is forbidden (so gay men can have a religious marriage ceremony, but religious officials don't want them having sex, which seems unrealistic and odd). Apparently, the committee deliberately left the issue open for synagogues to interpret for themselves. From what I've read, the rabbis wanted to integrate modernity with Levitican law, which plays a big role in Jewish law.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I'm not Jewish, and this is just what I read in the newspapers.

Judaism in general does not believe homosexuality is a sin. Orthodox and Conservative Judaism believe that homosexual intercourse is a sin. Reform Judaism does not believe that homosexual intercourse is a sin. Reform Judaism also ordains homosexual rabbis.

• BMCR

According to the Torah, homosexual behaviour is explicitly forbidden. The concept of a "homosexual identity" is not discussed at all.

And, yes, it is still forbidden. And if you are wondering if this puts the Conservative Judaism institutions at odds with what the Torah says... well, it wouldn't be the first time.

HUC is Hebrew Union College. It is Reform Judaism. They have for many years.

Orthodox Does not.

And Conservative is in the midst of trying to figure out what they are doing. FYI they met and had a split decision so it is up in the air. Four Board members quit over it.

I don't think that Orthodox Jews allow homosexuality. As for the others, it doesn't surprise me much since the Politically Correct Committee breathes on people so heavily.

orthodox doesn't

most allow it because judism operates more on a rewards system where you should perform a number of mitzvahs during your lifetime.

more reasonable than trying to control your followers by scaring the **** out of them with made up crap. At least this way you can chose to belive or not believe and not be **** on because of it.

How can anyone pretend to forbid or allow homosexuality. It makes as much sense as allowing or forbiding spring or tides...

Jesus was openly gay and quite happy about it.So were most of his twelve male friends he was always hanging out with.

Of course, in the objective of the religious sect pact with pagan emperor COnstantin do dominate and rule the people, they decided to forbid all the things the people wanted or practiced. The idea is to make the people feel guilty and to come up with a scheme to release the guilt. :"Oh this is bad, it is a sin, come and join us and I will do something so that this sin is forgiven..." Thats when, among other things, and against historical facts homophobia started to appear...

There IS no time in the Bible when homos were excepted. It has always been condemned. Sodom & Gomorrah were annihilated because of it. But Jews do not follow the Bible. They do not believe in the deity of Christ. This exceptance would be a modern day practice.

God thought that he had found in Moses a trusted helper to get the Israelites out of Egypt, or was it Libya, only to find out years later that Moses was a queer, and he had concealed that fact. Now, thousands of year later, it's okay. But back then God just about had a tantrum when he found out.