Life Insurance Policies?

My partner and I need to re-look at our life policies and have a will drawn up (we are not married). We have a house together with a joint mortgage and we each have two children from our previous relationships. What we want to do is leave money to each other to clear down the mortgage and also to leave monies... show more My partner and I need to re-look at our life policies and have a will drawn up (we are not married).

We have a house together with a joint mortgage and we each have two children from our previous relationships.

What we want to do is leave money to each other to clear down the mortgage and also to leave monies to our own individual children in the event of our death.

What I want to know, can one policy be split? ie, if there was one £300k insurance policy on my life, in my Will can I leave £100k to each of my kids and the other £100k to my partner?

I want to sort the policies out before going to the solicitor to get the wills drawn up so any advice appreciated!