is it better to use a baby detergent? healthier or just better?

Since last month I started to have an allergic reaction but I don't know from what. Right now my best guess is the detergent we use to wash our six weeks old baby's clothes. I want to try not using it but of course the baby is more important than me and that's why I'm asking here. Unfortunately there is only one brand for baby detergent in the market that I can find, Dreft. Otherwise I would have tried other brands.

How different is this detergent than the normal ones we use? is it only more softening? has less chemicals? if I use normal detergent will my baby be affected by any chance or way even the slightest?

Favorite Answer

Personally I stopped using Dreft after I ran out of the free samples I got when I was pregnant. I never bought it for any of my babies...it's super expensive. It's supposed to be good because of the softening and less harsh chemicals. You can use Woolite on baby clothes (I've done it) and it works fine. Also try one of those detergents like Tide or Cheer or even Purex that is dye free and unscented. The only other thing I did was wash the baby's clothes seperately or by hand if they weren't too soiled.

Source(s): My source...8+ years of parenting!!

While Dreft is the only "baby" brand, any free and clear detergent will work the same way. You want something that has no dyes or perfumes in them.

I use ALL brand free and clear. It's much cheaper then Dreft. Dreft is a rip off, in my opinion. I wash all of our clothes in it. The reason for a baby detergent is that their skin is sensitive and more likely to break out from stuff, but some adults are too.

Look for ALL in an all white jug. It is fairly new. You can use the same detergent as u use on ur clothes just dont ad softner. The difference is theres no frangrance and nothing in it ur baby can be allergic to in it. I was told by many moms to use what we do for our stuff but wash the baby stuff separate still and use less and dont use bleach.

• funari

Woolite For Baby Clothes

Try All Free and Clear. It has no dye and no smells. Great for baby's sensitive skin and nothing for you to deal with. If you use regular detergent for the baby clothes, he might have a reaction. If you want to try it, it won't harm your baby. You'll just have to switch if there's a reaction.

I never used baby detergent and my baby wasnt affected by it one way or the other. I guess it just matters if you start using it and the baby has an allergic reaction.

you don't HAVE to use baby detergent. i bought the expensive baby detergent up until i ran out last winter and couldn't get to the store and had to use ours and it had the same effect... the baby food stains were still in the clothes! hahah.... but anyway, try something fragrance and dye free.

actually the trick to baby detergent is just getting rid of fragrances. Just find one that is fragrance free and you'll be fine. I had the same problem when I had my first child, trust me works like a charm!!

you can try ALL detergent. You can find it in all department stores.

baby detergent is NOT necessary!!!