Where does the term "toe head" come from?

Everyone calls my daughter a toe head. I know what it means, but where does the term come from? What does having white hair have to do with toes?

Best Answer

It's 'tow head' - 'tow' being derived from an older German word for flax or straw. Essentially it means having hair the color of straw (light yellow).

Toe Head

It's not "toe head" but "tow head." Tow is a coarse, short hemp or flax fiber that has been prepared for spinning--and, of course, as one might well imagine, is pale yellow in color.

I never heard that expression before. On Thanksgiving my husband's aunt was talking about her son who now has very dark hair. She was saying on how he was a toe head when he was younger. Of course we thought she was making up a saying but I guess not.

I don't know the answer to your question but I believe it is towhead, not toe head.

It's TOW head - not toe.

This is a US phrase and the reference to is to 'tow', which is the light-colored fiber of flax, hemp, or jute. 'Tow-headed' is having tousled blond hair. This dates back to the19th century.

It's for people who have really blonde hair. it has nothing to do with toes...

The expression is "towhead", not "toe head" LOL!

"NOUN:

A head of white-blond hair resembling tow.

A person with such hair. "

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/en...

tow [ tō ] noun

fibers: fibers of flax, hemp, or jute, or of a synthetic material such as rayon [ Old English tow- < Germanic]

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861721133/tow.h...

• Sufi

it's towhead.

not based or related to the word toe.

I never heard of it but I would guess it comes off the word

"camel toe" I beleave it means intercourse. But I could be wrong.

• .6 years agoReport

I don't think anyone took your comment seriously. Why not remove it.