Where does the term "toe head" come from?

Everyone calls my daughter a toe head. I know what it means, but where does the term come from? What does having white hair have to do with toes?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It's 'tow head' - 'tow' being derived from an older German word for flax or straw. Essentially it means having hair the color of straw (light yellow).

• 3 years ago

Toe Head

• 1 decade ago

It's not "toe head" but "tow head." Tow is a coarse, short hemp or flax fiber that has been prepared for spinning--and, of course, as one might well imagine, is pale yellow in color.

• 1 decade ago

I never heard that expression before. On Thanksgiving my husband's aunt was talking about her son who now has very dark hair. She was saying on how he was a toe head when he was younger. Of course we thought she was making up a saying but I guess not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't know the answer to your question but I believe it is towhead, not toe head.

• 1 decade ago

It's TOW head - not toe.

This is a US phrase and the reference to is to 'tow', which is the light-colored fiber of flax, hemp, or jute. 'Tow-headed' is having tousled blond hair. This dates back to the19th century.

• 1 decade ago

It's for people who have really blonde hair. it has nothing to do with toes...

• 1 decade ago

The expression is "towhead", not "toe head" LOL!

"NOUN:

A head of white-blond hair resembling tow.

A person with such hair. "

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/en...

tow [ tō ] noun

fibers: fibers of flax, hemp, or jute, or of a synthetic material such as rayon [ Old English tow- < Germanic]

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861721133/tow.h...

• Sufi
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

it's towhead.

not based or related to the word toe.

• 1 decade ago

I never heard of it but I would guess it comes off the word

"camel toe" I beleave it means intercourse. But I could be wrong.

• .6 years agoReport

I don't think anyone took your comment seriously. Why not remove it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.