How Bad Is It If I Put 60 Watt Bulbs in 40 Watt Lamps?

I have one standing lamp in a very small studio apt. I have enough room for one standing lamp. It has takes 5 bulbs at a max of 40 watts each. It has stainless steel unremovable lamp shades that just don't give off enough light. Would it be a fire hazard to put 60 watt bulbs in it?

I can't rewire the to put up a light because I rent. And I can't drill into the ceiling either because it's made of reinforced concrete. So, track lights are out.

Favorite Answer

60watt bulbs x 5=300watts divided by 120volts =2.5amps

40watt bulbs x 5=200watts divided by 120volts =1.67amps

The manufacturer of the fixture recommends a lower wattage bulb for safety reasons. I myself believe that they sometimes over kill on safety. As long as the circuit can handle it, it will probably be fine, but that is your call.

I wouldn't worry about a fire hazzard on the lamp, but the wiring in the lamp may not be able to carry the additional load. This could lead to blowing some internal fuse, to melting insulation off the wire and potentially shocking yourself. I'd stick to the 40's or shop for a new lamp.

The wiring on the lamp is only rated to handle 40 watts, when you start to go over that the wiring can't take it and it will burn up and could possibly catch fire. 60 watts isn't a huge jump but accidently left on for a prolonged time it could cause a serious problem.

You should be using compact fluorescents, that would have a way lower wattage than a forty watt bulb, problem solved and you will have stepped into the 21st century. Plus get back 25 times it's value over a regular incandescent bulb, cause they last 5 times longer and are 5 time cheaper to run.

I would agree with Kelly L on this one... If they put a maximum of 40 watts each it is for a reason.

This isn't like baking a cake where if you're wrong you just end up with a bad cake. On this if you're wrong... you burn down the house!

Good Luck

Me

No problem,,, you will just get more light.