What does HSS mean re Fender guitars? Advice/opinions needed?

I'm looking at some guitars to buy and I don't have time to research this as thoroughly as I'd like. I'm considering a Deluxe Series Squier HSS Fat Strat that I found a great price on, but I really don't know what I'm buying. There are a few different models, and I'm hoping there's someone here with knowledge that can help me.

The Squiers are in my price range - I wish I could afford better, but that's how it is. What are the practical differences in the different Squier series? I'm not concerned with the finish or appearance at all. What does HSS mean? Please help me with your opinions and advice.

Favorite Answer

HSS -- humbucker/single-coil/single-coil -- One humbucker pickup in the bridge, one single coil in the middle and one single coil in the neck position.

The basic differences are in the wood. You're getting one with good wood (mahogany I think?) whereas tons of Squiers are made of cheap woods that don't sound as good.

Fender Hss Strat

I'd go with the Fender hss fat strat. The Ibanez's body is wicked but you'd probably get more from the Fender's body.