Do libertarians have more in common with liberals or with conservatives?

Which party best represents libertarian ideals?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They're socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I can live with that.

• 1 decade ago

Libertarians, contrary to popular belief, are closest to classic liberals. Both are derived from the root word "liberty". Modern liberals and modern conservatives have strayed far from the "classic" meanings of the words, though, and current Libertarians would now be considered moderates.

• 4 years ago

because actually, libertarian is purely yet another word for anarchy. we don't like the state, yet we help being your man or woman. We might want to variety at the same time as it contains economic rules, yet for the most section we help social values to be our own selves. We go beyond the Left-proper paradigm, and do purely our own element. we do not use the state to get over somebody else. Being a anarchist, I grown over proper ones which contain Ron Paul, or perhaps Noam Chomsky, yet when a suitable or a left libertarian confirmed up, it does no longer be too undesirable.

• 1 decade ago

the most extremes want the govt to do nothing I mean nothing. I knew a couple that refused to get married because it is recognized by the state...overall I think its conservative. Look at Larry Elders Views.. He is a classic libertarian.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

As a Libertarian I would agree with Alex.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well I would say, and this might sound cliche, but both

Socially they are more liberal

Fiscally they are more conservative

I like the libertarian concept, too bad it couldn't get far in our party system

• 1 decade ago

Hard question.They stand for fewer laws,legalize everything.No social programs(worse than Republicans on that).No funding for the arts.No federal regulation and strong states rights.

True libertarians are better known as anarchists.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Libertarians are just hard a$$ed Conservatives.

HARD CORE.

I am a Libertarian, but I vote Republican, usually.

Libertarian votes are just wasted.

We can never win diddley. It's just a protest vote.

• 1 decade ago

I'd have to agree. Socially liberal. Fiscally conservative.

They're also very keen when it comes to the constitution.

• 1 decade ago

Generally speaking and considering moderate liberatarians its both.

Since they want less government in all areas, they are social liberals (less gov in personal affairs) and fiscal conservatives (less government in fiscal affairs).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I used to think they had more in common with Conservatives but now I do not know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.