Does being overqualified affect your chances of getting a job? How real do you think age discrimination is?

My dad is 57 years old and he is having a hard time finding a job. He has a couple of degrees and says that his age and overqualifications are the reason he has been unable to get jobs.

There were a few instances where he was phone interviewed, got the job and when he finally went there, they let him go in a couple of days.

Does anybody have any suggestions, comments, or advice?

You could also talk about any experiences that you had.

Favorite Answer

I do believe being overqualified can be a factor. I think most employers worry that someone with a lot of education/experience will be looking for something better--more money, satisfaction etc.

I do believe age discrimination is prevelant--but it depends on the types of jobs he's applying for.

I know from experience/ being told by interviewers that being overqualified absolutely will disqualify you for most substandard/ entry level jobs. Why would they risk hiring and training somebody if a newer, better paying job comes around? The easy way to go around it if you really want to stick with a certain job: don't put your superqualifications on your resume!

As far as age discrimination, I think that depends on what kind of job he was hired and what happened in those first few days.

Overqualified does happen. I have passed over people because they were a supervisor and I was looking for a "worker." I have been passed over for the same reason, until I could make a case of how I was actually moving up (to more responsibility, larger organization, whatever).

Age discrimination does happen. Older employees might mean more absences for sick days, doctor appointments etc., and does mean higher health insurance premiums for the employer to pay.

no longer me, yet my son purely change into - and that is so complicated. many years in the past, he moved out to the west coast for a job. he's now married and needs to commence a relatives, and he'd opt for to be decrease back the following on the east coast close to something of his relatives. So he's searching the following, even if that is so puzzling lately. He got here upon what regarded like an excellent job. convinced, it is genuine he's overqualified, yet he's prepared to take this job because it is going to carry him decrease back living house, and he'd be able to do the job ok. even if the agency subsidized off, saying he change into "overqualified". we are so dissatisfied.

If your father is at "retirement age" most companys wont hire because they want some one younger they can train there way. Over qualified is when a company thinks that person has a higher experience level than the position applied for. companys are afraid an over qualified person will not stay with ,not be challenged, and become bored with the job.

Ageism is very real.