Is this illegal???

Is it illegal to take a picture from a web site, and use paint to add a band name to it and make a sew on patch? I couldn't find a copy write on the picture. Could I use the band name?

Favorite Answer

It's probably illegal, but I doubt you will run into problems unless your band hits it big.

Back to the picture, Even if the picture did not have a copyright notice on it, it is copyrighted assuming it wasn't from the public domain. What you likely did was copy a copyrighted work to create your own derivative work. Your original derivative work is copyright protected itself, however, the right to grant someone permission to make a derivative copy is the exclusive right of the original copyright holder. In other words, you created a copyrightable band logo but cant use it w/o permission of the web site. The solution is simple, shoot the webmaster an email asking for permission to use his work. If he okays it document it and hold on to it. Just make sure the webmaster didn't copy the picture from someone else otherwise his permission is worthless.

I'm not into this as a hobby but I know that certain sites own all the copyrights to their web content, including pictures, and others just use "public domain" stuff, meaning that anybody could theoretically use it because it is "owned" by the public. The PD ones are usually of older pictures whose copyrights have lapsed. Why not find out what kind of site is the one that has that picture you wanted to use? If it's newer stuff you would be breaking the law, sorry to say.

There are copy right laws that could protect the picture and trade mark laws for the bands logo, check into that first.

Yes and no. If the original picture was created before 1923 then it is in the public domain and you are free to use it.

If it was created after 1923 the law becomes a little more complicated and I would recommend that you create your own original artwork.

Yes, check out the copyright laws.

its illegal if you profit from doing so...

you can do it if you want to look nice yourself

there are different restrictions to different copy right laws

odds are the one you want doesnt have them

have a good day :)

As long as you site where you found it, and don't claim it as your own art work...I don't think itwould be plagerism or anything like it.

I hope I get the spelling right, but what you want to do is call plagiarism.

You could be sued. It is illegal.

Thank you very much, while you're up.

read the copy right laws..................