Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

Im scared...can you help?!?

Hey. I am 13 years old && im in the 9th grade. I am moving with my dad and I will be going to school up there. I know, like, 4 people who go to the school. One of them is homeschooled but is like my best friend. She says people are nice. My cousin who is in the 9th grade says people can be really mean. Danny and Zach are in my grade. They are excited and happy I am going to school with them (epecially danny because he likes me.) They both say it will be fine. But i cant help but feel afraid nobody will like me. Switching school's in the middle of the year is gonna be hard. Do you have any suggestions on how to make friends and stuff?

Favorite Answer

The best suggestion is to be yourself. You will attract people who will enoying being around you. Partiicpate in things that you enjoy doing and you will find other people who enjoy doing the same things. Dont force trying to find friends, just be natural.

I've moved a lot with the military and I've learned a few things. First, a smile goes a long way in making friends. If you make eye contact and smile, people will automatically smile back. It's instinct or something. Also, a good way to start a conversation with someone is to ask them about themselves. For example, if the girl who sits next to you in math class is wearing a pretty shade of nailpolish, you could start with a compliment: 'That is such a great color. Where did you get it?' Nine times out of ten, she'll continue the conversation.

Most importantly, remember that the first day is always the hardest. After a while, your new school will feel as comfortable as your old one.

Good luck and have fun!

I switched schools in the middle of the year a long time ago and everything was fine. The people were nice and treated me well. I was roughly the same age you are and everything worked out fine. Just remeber that having an outgoing, friendly presonality helps. Just don't be TOO outgoing and friendly or people might think you're a doormat. Everything will be fine, just give it some time...you'll be OK.

Hey Sweetie,

I am 21 now, but when I was 13, I was hell on wheels. I never bullied anyone around but was quick to defend myself. Don't let people push you around or talk you into things you don't want to do. Making friends is easiest just beingyourself. If the 'cool' crowd won't accept you, please don't try to fake it. That will only push you farther away from the real you. Anywhere you go there will be snotty kids, as well as nice ones too. I know I was bad, but never to anyone who didn't deserve it. Don't ever push anyone away just because someone else doesn't like them. Study and do your work, be quiet in class. Respect from your teachers is more important than bratty kids. Never let anyone get the best of you. If you ever need to chat you can e-mail me at Ms.Mameha@yahoo.com Relax, everything will be fine.

• 09 _

My little sister and I switched schools several times last year after Hurricane Katrina took our house. I can relate to how you are feeling. Just be yourself, talk to people and have confidence in yourself. Show your best characteristics and people will come running to be your friend. You have nothing to worry about. Keep a smile and you will be irresistable! Good luck!

It is hard if you look at it that way. However, if you look at it with an attitude of "Hey, I'm going to a new school where I have a possibility of a boatload of friends and alot of new things to do and places to see", then it will be more exciting than scary.

Everything is what you make it.

Don't try too hard, just be yourself and you will be fine. Hang with the people you know and have them introduce you around. You will meet more people and start to feel more comfortable with the school and your social situation. Good luck.

Just try to be really outgoing and dont act like a b i t c h because then that will be peoples first impression of you. You always want to be nice and try not to fall in with "the wrong crowd" Just be nice and people will be nice back.

don't worry about it. i switched schools in the middle of the year in eighth grade. you will automatically meet people just by your classes. there will always be a couple of people with the same classes as you. just get involved with some extracurricular activities too to ensure to meet some new people.

Just be yourself and people will like you for who you are. Don't pretend to be something else just to fit in with who you think you should. Be friendly, and smiles are always good cause they're usually infectious. At least you know people already because then you won't be left out because you can hang out with them. You'll be right!!! :)