In a business setting, is it ok to tell a female coworker that you like her perfume?

Favorite Answer

Is there really any reason to?

If you are conducting a business meeting with a female co-worker, you should definitely not tell her you like her perfume. This is inappropriate and could very well lead to an embarrassing situation. At all times, men and women should conduct themselves in a professional manner without getting personal. If this person is a friend, then by all means, you may feel free to do so (in the right arena - not while conducting business with clients). However, please be cautioned about unintentional overtones in that comment. It is best to keep your comments to yourself so that they are not taken the wrong way.

It depends, but I'd say it usually is okay; it also depends on your working relationship. It falls under the same category of complimenting someone on their clothing, hair, etc. As long as you state it very simply, discreetly (not in front of several others) and without too much emotion, you should be okay. Hopefully, she'll accept the compliment and either tell you the name or leave it at that.

As long as it isn't said in front of several other coworkers, I'm sure that would be fine. Most women wear perfume in order to smell nice, and it's not like they only want to smell nice for themselves. Sincere compliments are appreciated by most people.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Maybe be like "what perfume do you wear cause I really like it?" She'll be complimented as long as that's the extent of it and you don't come across like your hitting on her...or if you ARE hitting on her and she doesn't take kindly to it then don't do it anymore otherwise it turns into a form of harrassmen.

Michael, Of course it is fine to comment graciously on a co-worker's appearance or fragrance. If you do not want the relationship to progress any further than business, be sure to add," I enjoy your fragrance so much, could you tell me what the name is? I'd love to buy some for my girlfriend." That way the co-worker knows you're not "fishing," just appreciative.

Why not? She wore it to the business setting. You can be complimentary without running afoul of politically correct thought control laws.

Only if you would say the same thing to a male coworker about his colonge.

I believe it would depend on the working relationship that you and that fellow co-worker had....

More often than not, I believe in any other situation this would be ok.

It also depends on why you are asking the question...

All in All I would say yes.

It largely depends on how you say it to her. As long as it's tactful and polite, it may be OK. Unless you are quitting your job, don't say "Wow! Your perfurme really turns me on. I am having a hard-on. Let's go have sex".

It is never inappropriate to give true compliments. This is part of being in civilised society.