Kristine H asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

How do you catch a baby pig?

Someone in my neighborhood had pigs that got out of their pen and I am trying to catch them but I have a lot of woods surrounding me and they can be anywhere. If someone can tell me what they like to eat or how to build a good trap I would thank you.

Favorite Answer

You could dig a small hole that isn't too deep but deep enough to hold the pigs in. Cover the hole with some thin stuff like leaves or even a small net (just don't nail it down!) and place the food with whatever they eat. The pigs will come to get the food and fall. You may want to put something soft under them so they won't get hurt.

By the way, why did your neighbor have pigs??

ellizis theory is pretty good but pigs aren't as stupid as you think and it would have to be a pretty deep hole for them to stay in there because they will get out. I could teach you how to make a trap but I don't feel like typing that much. Since they are domestic I would use corn and apples (good advice) and leave the gate open to a fenced in yard or something similar. In my traps I use half a five gallon bucket of corn from a feed store fill it with water or beer to the top of the corn, and throw one packet of grape jello powder in it. It won't smell very good after a few days but pigs go crazy over the stuff and can't resist it. Once they are in there you can shut the gate behind them and catch them by hand. There is a chance that they will find their way back to their original pen so if you feed just outside it they may come back. Just hope they don't find a source of food they prefer better or they might never come back. If you know approximately where they are at you can use a trap but that can get very expensive unless someone lends you one. I would but I don't know where you live. Baby pigs aren't that fast so maybe if you feed them in an area where some kids can chase them you can catch them fairly easily. Just beware of momma pig because she won't be happy with you chasing her young.

They like fruits (apples especially) or you could use pig starter.

Our pigs get out all the time and we just shake the container with pig food starter and in they go. Also if you have the pig and it is still running you can get a board and put it in front of him so he goes to the direction you want him too.

leave some corn on the ground. Pigs like corn. Then sneak up on the pig and catch it

A bear trap will work.

The trap is good. Use apples for bait, they will work well.

Shoot them!! They will slow down enough to catch them