How Can we Get More Troops to Send to Iraq Without a draft?

Why aren't Americans signing up in higher numbers.

Latest recruitment figures show a lack and Everyone from McCain to Rumsfeld to the commanders say they need more?

Favorite Answer

Hogwash. Our all volunteer army is doing wonders, and I bet they're wondering if they'll ever get to come home. I doubt most of those volunteers ever imagined they would be in a war. My guess, most of them signed up for the leg up in life it might give them. How many people do you think signed on hoping they would go to war?

Most eligible Americans aren't signing up for one reason only. They might get killed in a war they want no part in. If the fighting drones on, the draft will have to be reinstated. You can't just keep rotating the same troops.

I have 2 teenagers and I feel it is their choice whether to enlist or not. (so liberals can shut up about us Rep's "sending" our kids to Iraq). My daughter is not interested and I think she is afraid of war which is a legitimate excuse. My son may enlist in the future. He is in college and is working hard at that. Recruiters are annoying to most kids who are not ready to go. For kids who may want to go soon, I think recruiters set up at tables at schools and colleges is a good thing. It provides kids with the information they may want. Otherwise, our young people will enlist when they feel the calling. Unfortunately the motivation may come from another 9/11 or even all out war with Iran or Syria.

Better pay. The size of the armed forces is worryingly low.

i would sign up with a clearcut goal stated about americans leaving the middle east when its over ... im not going over to the middle east to secure oil fields for rich aholes ...

People just have to be brave and volunteer. It's sad that people don't want to fight for their country. I would but because of my condition they would probably not accept me.