how to thin chocolate for dipping?

Favorite Answer

Add a couple teaspoons of oil to the chocolate for fondue or chocolate fountains.

Don't use Olive oil, use a neutral flavor as corn oil or canola oil. Peanut oil can add a touch of nuttiness to it if you like that idea.

• fauver

Thinning Chocolate

A double boiler is still the best method..

or to do a cheap version boil a sauce pan of water..take off heat.

Find a stoneware or metal bowl..make sure its dry..and put in a tablespoon of shortening per pound of dipping chocolate..(make sure its the plain shortening and not butter flavor or anything)

and just put the choc and shortening in the bowl and set on top of the sauce pan of hot water..let sit a few minutes and stir every couple minutes..reheat water if necessary..be carefull not to get the water in the chocolate or it will make the chocolate seize up(get chunky and not melt)if its a block of melting choco. make sure you chop it up to speed up the process..choco chips work too(the milk chocolate kind) one of my favorites is a bag of semi sweet and a bag of milk chocolate with a tablespoon and 1/2 of shortening..not to sweet and more flavor..

good luck!

use a double boiler and place the choc. in the pot with a chunk of paraffin. I usually use 2 bags of choc. chips semi-sweet or milk and a 3"x3" piece of paraffin. Once everything is melted you can taste and adjust accordingly until you get a smooth texture that will set up nicely. *Hint* don't put what ever you dipped into the freezer or fridge to speed up the setting because it will become cloudy and not look as nice. It will still taste the same but not look as pretty.

Source(s): experience

at my work we thin it down by melting it in a metal bowl over a steam kettle..you can use a double boiler...add some chunks of real butter..not margarine...real butter. we use 1/3 chocolate and 2/3 butter. You can also add a little heavy cream.

Source(s): that's my job

I think the answer you are looking for is Paramount Crystals.... comes in flake form... its just a fat that you can add to your chocolate to thin it out as it becomes too thick.

I didn't have paraffin, nor heavy cream, but I did have 1/2 & 1/2.. That saved me!...! Ganache covered pretzels! Delish!

In a bowl over a pan of boiling water

melt chocolate with heavy cream milk

Find a recipe for ganache, it's chocolate and cream.. and sometimes a liquor.. yum!