Women with lupus: is my hair shedding this much because of SLE or just because?

I have lupus (sle) and am trying to grow my hair from a super short hairstyle...When I had the very short hair, I never used to shed. Now that my hair is getting longer I'm shedding like crazy, losing a lot of strands....Is this happening because of the lupus or just because I have thick hair and it is getting longer; hence, more shedding would ensue?

Favorite Answer

my lupus flared up a couple of months ago. i had very long hair that started to drop ALOT.my doctor then adviced me to cut it really really short.so now my hair is extremely short and the dropping decreased.in your case, it maybe due to both.but usually,our hair will stop dropping when our lupus is stable.

dont worry tho,im sure everything will turn out fine =)

This can be a symptom of Lupus or from the medications you may be taking ( you didn't mention if you were on any meds). My wife's hair falls out a lot and she has long hair too. It falls out more when she has a flare up and when she's taking more prednisone and cellcept. Talk with your doctor and let them know whats going on.

my grandfather had the same thing and he never had a problem with his hair, but who knows, it could be.