Do you think racism is becoming more geared towards white people today?

In America, it is becoming difficult to be a white person in our cities. There are specialized scholarships for minorities and Affirmative Action guarantees school positions and work positions for minorities, even if that means putting a white person out of work. Preferential treatment is given to minorities every day, and the "white man" is blamed for every problem minorities have. The white person isn't allowed to be proud of his or her heritage, because that's racist, but it's ok for a black person to have their days or weeks (or even months) dedicated to their history without repercussion. I'm proud of my heritage, but I have to keep that to myself? How come a black man can murder a white man, and it'd be called "murder" and the likelihood for parole is given, but a white man kills a black man and it's called a "hate crime" and there's never a possibility for parole thereafter? In my opinion, BOTH murderers should be given NO possibility for parole. So? What do you think?

Favorite Answer

you make wonderful point, and i agree with you. but the issue is that we (white people) came to a land that was not ours. we beat and slaughtered the lands native people. went to other lands and stole their natives and enslaved them. we allowed rasicm to continue long enough that now we this thing called affirmitive action. which takes the competitive edge out of the job feild, and gives it to the black guy because some one with his skin color was enslaved a long time ago, and it wasn't even his family.

if you want this fixed fight affirmitive action

"In America, it is becoming difficult to be a white person in our cities. There are specialized scholarships for minorities and Affirmative Action guarantees school positions and work positions for minorities, even if that means putting a white person out of work."

Wrong, how can this hurt you? There are plenty of scolorships for everyone. And whites CAN attend black colleges.

"Preferential treatment is given to minorities every day, and the "white man" is blamed for every problem minorities have. The white person isn't allowed to be proud of his or her heritage, because that's racist, but it's ok for a black person to have their days or weeks (or even months) dedicated to their history without repercussion. I'm proud of my heritage, but I have to keep that to myself?"

No, you can be proud of yourself, it's when you think you are better than others races you have a problem. Be proud of yourself! Just don't try to put others down while doing it.

"How come a black man can murder a white man, and it'd be called "murder" and the likelihood for parole is given, but a white man kills a black man and it's called a "hate crime" and there's never a possibility for parole thereafter? In my opinion, BOTH murderers should be given NO possibility for parole."

Your perpectives are different. I could say the exact opposite.

• Jack

I agree!! I have said this for a long time. ...And about the scholarships, I just know that my education would be FREE if my skin were some other color besides white. ...About the Affirmative Action, That's what I don't get about unemployed black people, they get special treatment in the hiring process so why can't they get a job? They are bad workers, that's why....but I still get blamed for it. I guess it's my fault they can't get their lazy @$$ to work and actually work when they get there. Without white people, who would pay into welfare? (I mention blacks only and not hispanics because hispanics are the majority here where I live)

All I know is that I can't wait for the whites to become the minority so that we can get all sorts of special minority treatment.

• T

I think that while any racism is WRONG, no matter what race, but minorities still have it worse.

Hispanics/Latinos are assumed to be illegal immediately. People from the middle east are assumed to be muslims (many middle eastern people in America are actually Christians and those who aren't don't necessarily want a jihad with anybody). And, according to the FBI, most hate crimes are still comitted against blacks. So no, not buying your theory.

I do think that any racism should be recognized as such, but saying it's becoming more geared at white people is a bit over the top.

And I want to add that you seem to gear most of your discussion towards blacks, but people fail to realize that there are actually Native American and Hispanic months. But I assume you knew that already.

well coming from a black person, the reason we have a "black" history month is to honor the black people that help us get where we are you know like martin luther king, rosa parks and the rest. Since we white people are not suppose to be proud of their heritage, what about irish pride, english pride, dutch pride and all the works. You guys could be proud of your heritage. But if you go around saying white proud!!! other people might take it into offense becuase it would sound like you are a white supremacist or part of the KKK. I know their is black pride, but its different most black pride is to help blacks be true to themselves, be strong, cause their still a whole lot of racism, take pride in your skin color, hair etc... I know it sucks, but that's just the way it is

Your "facts" are inaccurate. Specialized scholarships for minorities are often offered by minority groups, for their members. Such groups are Army Veterans, various churches and civic organizations, etc. Affirmative action does not "put a white person out of work". Affirmative action helps to ensure that minorites are considered for positions that they were not previously able to be considered for, it also nullifies rejecting black applicants solely on race (which if you are unaware was extremely prevalent). Being proud of one's heritage should not include denigrating another person's. If that's how you show pride then you deserve the consequences of your actions. One month out of the year dedicated to remembering and honoring our important historical figures and turning points shouldn't upset you, when you have the other 11 to honor and remember yours.

are you freaking crazy? NO ONE SAID white americans shouldn't be proud of who they are, actually if you ask the typical black person they'll say just the opposite. you claim you are so unfairly treated anymore with scholarships geared at minorities, for what? we make up only 12% of the population and most of us aren't even going to college, so what the f*ck are YOU talking about miss victim. also if a black man kills a white man with racial intentions then it IS a hate crime point blank. we have black history month because everything we once knew about who we were was taken from us and to recognize our new history and accomplishments here in america we were given a month of national recognition.who are we suppose to idolize and look up to, george washington or thomas jefferson? despite how you want to portray it america is a WHITE country, does it make me angry? absolutely not, i personally have immeasurable admiration for the accomplishments of whites world wide. what makes me angry is that how the hell can 72% of the population

that happens to be the wealthiest population act like victims as a whole.

and fyi, out of my 5 years in college, the only scholarship i've ever gotten was a war-time veterans scholarship

Let's not play the victim game. In your statement you failed to mention that affirmative action has helped White Women more thany any other group. With that said history has brought us to this point and since most people don't know history or take the time to research it we get ignorant statements. Black history month is a time to reflect on what black americans have contributed to society, mainly american society, so that means that this is your history too! Be proud of who and what you are because you have to live with you! Also do your research before you piss in a pot a dump it on yourself!

Its not that Racism is geared toward white people.... It is that Racism is geared toward the narrow minded. Yes it is a shame that we are still reverting to skin color for anything, people should be judged on their aptitude and knowledge rather than their skin color. I believe it should be the best person for the job no matter what. I believe that it should be the an open scholarship no matter what.

But as long as the minds are narrow in thought, this will never be.

I won't debate the justice system- too many issues for this question. but yes white people are feeling some discrimination. its time we stop seeing ourselves based on our races or nationality and seeing ourselves as humans.

I was so sad when at my local Dalton's bookstore the cultural and social studies section was cut by 2/3 for the African American section (books that were already avalible in smaller amounts in the culture/social studies section). The section has not expanded and other sections have been cut.

its bad when any one race takes away from a group study of many races

• Fries

Oh please honey, i didnt read all of that i just saw scholarships and that was enough. White people are whining and crying now how do you think many minorities felt years ago and still today. Stop whining you are not the only one that has to deal with racism and there are scholarships for EVERYONE. If you are irish,italian,hispanic,asian,russian or whatever! Not all scholarships are for minorites okay. We have a month because its not just about BLACK people its about how america has progressed, the civil rights movement, harriet tubman, or would you rather not inform children that we used to have slaves and segregation. Go away.