Can I get pregnant with the PCOS disorder?

Hello, I know alot about PCOS and was diagnosed with it in March,2006.At the time I was diagnosed I had been married for about 4 months.Still yet I had not had my period since about September,2005 and so in march I started my metphormin and birth control to help regulate this disease.I had gained alot of weight due to this problem and being that I'm only 18 and married I was determined to get my life back so that I could have kids.So since then I lost almost 75 pounds and I went off my birth control in late July and have been having regular periods ever since.Is it possible I can keep on having regular periods and get pregnant soon?Is there any other fertility tricks such as certain herbs or remidies I could try to help out?Also I would love to hear from people who have overcame this and went on to have kids.Thank you so much and wish me the best of luck.

Favorite Answer

You can absolutely get pregnant. Many women have PCOS and go on to have kids. I was just diagnosed with PCOS, I got pregnant within a month of being diagnosed. Before that, I hadn't had a period in almost 6 months. PCOS is not that huge of a deal, the biggest mistake you can make is trying to look up information on the internet, most everything you see is going to be worst-case scenario.

It is possible to have PCOS and get pregnant. I have PCOS and have 2 kids. Congrats on losing so much weight. That is a battle in itself, especially when you have PCOS. Sounds like you are on the right track.

My only question would be..what dose of metformin are you on? Many doctors dont want to up a dose past 1500mg...but for some it takes more (I need at least 2000mg before I start to respong). Ovulation kits are no good for women with PCOS, but you could try charting your temps and see if you have a pattern that would indicate ovulation. You can also add Clomid while still doing the metformin.

One other thought is that you don't want to use birth control pills (even when you are not trying to get pregnant). They mask the PCOS symptoms while at the same time aggrivating them. Many doctors are not aware of this..but it's true. Anyway..here's some good PCOS info.:

It is important to really understand what PCOS is and the correct way to treat it. Unfortunatly, many doctors are not very knowledgeable and do not really understand much about PCOS. I recommend seeing a reproductive endocrinologist (RE). They are your best bet at correct PCOS treatment and any fertility treatments you may need. Here's a little general PCOS info to get you started:

The underlying cause of PCOS is insulin resistance (IR). The best treatment for PCOS is going on an insulin sensitizing drug such as metformin (1500-2550mg per day) combined with a low carb diet and exercise. There are a few important things to know:

1. Many women "pass" the test for IR, but still respond positively from the metformin. No one knows exactlly why..my thought is that the test is not a sure fire way of detecting the IR.

2. You must be on a high enough dose of metformin. I've heard women complain that their bodies dont start working even though they've been on metformin for awhile.

3. It can take a few months on the correct dose, before your body is regulated. Hopefully you will start ovulating on your own and you will be able to get pregnant without any other treatment needed. If not, the RE can begin other fertility treatments while you are still on metformin.

4. It is important to treat your PCOS even if you are not trying to get pregnant. There are higher risks for many things (high blood pressure, blood clots, diabetes, and many other things) when you have PCOS, but if it is treated properly, then those risks are lowered.

I highly recommend visiting http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhp... It is a great message board where you can ask all your PCOS questions, including those about getting pregnant. Good luck.

First... Congrats to you for losing 75lbs!!!

I also was diagnosed with PCOS... Yes it is possible for women with PCOS to have children... I have a20 month old daughter. It can be a struggle sometimes though. It took me 13 months to get pregnant with her, but I had a healthy pregnancy and an even healthier baby!! So good luck to you!!

IVF (in vitro fertilization) treatment; IUI, ICSI and Laparoscopic surgery is have become very common now. The cost is very low and the medical services are very good in India.

My cousin and her husband got their IVF treatment in India through the Forerunners Healthcare in India and is all praise for this company. She is a known case of PCOS.She is a very happy mother of a baby boy now. She just paid 2500 pounds for the full IVF treatment in India for which she was quoted 8000 pounds in private setup in UK.

Forerunners Healthcare is very famous in India. I read a lot about them in the newspapers. I have also read about a Chinese couple who planned surrogacy through the Forerunners Healthcare. They arrange financing for USA, Canadian, UK and other international patients who plan to have surgery and infertility treatment like IVF, IUI, and ICSI abroad for low price. They also have photos pasted of their International patients. You can checkout their website. There are huge cost savings. As a doctor I personally believe that surgery and treatment can be easily handled in India, as the quality of healthcare available In India is simply best in the world. The surgeons are USA/UK trained and facilities are 5 star.

Many patients travel from United States of America and UK to get low cost surgery in India. Indian corporate hospitals are comparable to hospitals anywhere in the world. In fact, India has medical facilities that are comparable with the USA, UK and Canada. India offers World Class Medical Facilities, comparable with any of the western countries. India has state of the art Hospitals and the best medical experts. With the best infrastructure, the best possible Medical facilities, accompanied with the most competitive prices, you can get the treatment done in India at the lowest prices

http://www.forerunnershealthcare.com/

Hope this helps.

1

Source(s): Fertility Treatments http://netint.info/GetPregnantNaturally/?D8mU

I only read the first line of your question,

I know of people who have PCOS and have gotten pregnant,

but other people can not.

so the answer is: maybe