Do you think organic foods are better than conventionally grown? Why or why not?

Since the organic foods market is growing at about 20% a year, thought I would ask if people here are choosing organic?

• Dave C
    Favorite Answer

In terms of fruits and vegetables, I don't think there is a difference since the plants don't really care if it's an "organic" fertilizier or a "synthetic". Although, I'm starting to think more about pesticides.

However, for meat, I'm leaning more towards organic. I'm liking the idea of having meats that are NOT given growth hormones and antibiotics. Also, the animals are fed organic feed. Since animals are higher on the food chain, they tend to accumulate the "bad" stuff from what they eat. At least being fed organic feed, they will have less build-up of pesticides and other farm chemicals in their bodies when we get the meat at the market.

Heads-up in regards to fish, see link below, the USDA does NOT allow fish to be labeled "USDA Organic". So don't get caught up on the word "organic" especially if they charge more for the fish.

This is partially a myth, organic aint better.

All the genetic modifications have a reason, this reason is to make a fruit, seed or whatever with increased or decreased specific characteristics, for example, apples have been modified in order to achive a more juicy tasteful apple with increased amounts of their nutritive properties (vitamins as an example), also they are modified in order to avoid certain pest, is an especific insect is attraced by an specific charactiristic this may be changed and the pest will be kept controlled.

But in the other hand, this increased amount of nutritional properties is a serious factor in the rates of some deseaces for example obesity and diabetes, caus if you are gettin extra nutrients from everywhere, guess what, fat will show up...so is pretty much uo ti you, also the so called organic (cause both are organic they both have carbon atoms in their constitutions) are supposed to be more enviroment friendly but this is relative, maybe you don`t spread pesticides on you land, but you have to keep the pest far away, so what you do? you spray the surrounding areas, and actually you end up using more pesticide....but the good thing is that it is not directly sprayed on your food, but it will get to it, cause sooner or later via the wind or rain, the pesticide will cover your food.

I think this is more a marketing issue than a public health concer, what you think?

Do a little research

organic foods are heaps betta... if you buy foods that are conventionally grown u run the risk of getting sick coz of the chemicals used to keep the bugs away and the chemicals used to make the color stand out more

• COACH

I don't feel that the extra cost for organic is worth whatever benefits are alleged to come from organicly grown foods.

Home grown is far better

organic sometimes tastes strange

Hot house ,or,green house grown are usually good tasting

I don't care for organic anything.

And no I don't think Organic are better.

organic foods are the way to go. They are made naturally not by spraying chemicals on them.

organics cost more but have more nutrients than regular. I prefer regular because too many nutrients cause over-sweetness or sourness