Can I be in the military (part-time) Army national Guards, and still become a Police Officer?

I just joined National Guards, I also want to become a police officer

Best Answer

There are several officers on our Dept who are part of the Reserve, and Guard. We are proud to have them.

• sure you can. i want to join the guard and i want to become an officer to. I'm with the California high way patrol and we had an officer who was in the coast guard and he still was able to become an officer and he did great. but when you become an officer in any department weather it be state or local you will be untrained and re-trained their way. so you should be just fine. and if your still not sure then go and ask if you can become an officer I'm sure they will provide enough info for you.

ABSOLUTELY - YES! In fact there are alot of Police Officers that are in the Reserves and National Guard.

More power to you

Source(s): a veteran
  • Rich B

If I were in your place, I would check with the HR and the union folks to make sure. Employers have historically been very helpful where the Guard is concerned and many encourage participation.

My boyfriend does both...been in the army for over 18 years (one time active duty, now been reserve for some time) and he's been a cop for more than 6 years.

Most agencies will allow you military leave time to complete your obligations to the service. Just make sure they know in advance of hiring you that you are still active or reserves.

• WC

Check with the police recruiter in your area.

• J.W.

There are many police officers that are also in the guard or reserves. Being a veteran can help you get police officer jobs. Veterans get extra points on civil service tests and preference for federal jobs. Some police departments that require applicants to have college will waive some or all of their college requirements for veterans. Also, for different reasons, some people simply like to hire qualified veterans whenever they get the chance to.

Not only can you you do both, but cities / counties allow time allotted for your military time.

yes u can they actually will probaly look at u more or another profession to look into is correctional officer