i need help for modeling careers?

ok well i told my friend i would help her get into modeling and i need to know of modeling agencies around Saint Louis missouri and stuff so i can get her started because she has helped me with so much stuff and i just wanna repay her by doing this

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

ok here we go!:

Centro Models

1222 Lucas Avenue, Suite 300

St. Louis, MO, 63103

http://www.centromodels.com/

(Modeling divisions: print commercial runway men women plus hair makeup stylists)

I & I Agency Kansas City

Kansas City, MO

1509 Westport Rd., Suite 200

Kansas City, MO, 64111

tel: 816-410-9950

fax: 816-410-9950

Description:

Men -age 35 -55, all ethnicities. Women -age 35-55, all ethnicities. Children -ages 4-12, all ethnicities. Teen Males -ages 13-20, all ethnicities.

We primarily need asian-americans and hispanic-americans of ALL age ranges. (ages 4 and up)

Open Call times: Tuesdays 4PM

http://www.impressions-images.com/

email: wizardmark@earthlink.net

Mother Management

Dardenne Prairie, MO

1035 Dardenne Woods Drive,

Dardenne Prairie, MO, 63368

tel: 636-410-5017

fax: 636-410-5074

web site: http://www.modeltruth.com/

email: jeff@modeltruth.com

was that good? :) ok, so how it goes.... call them and ask them what they want. most want snapshots (literally no make up, and normal face), some may want professional photos. ask them and they will be the best to tell you, agencies want different things sometimes.

also, ask them about other agencies in the area. they are the BEST source about info on legitimate agencies.

DO NOT GO TO MODELING SCHOOL. you will not learn anything. barbizon and john robert powers are NOT agencies, and you will waste your money.

DO NOT PAY MORE THAN $250 for your photos. you actually do not really need to pay for them anyway. try finding some photographers (modelmayhem.com, solomodels.com) in your area first, and they might want to shoot for free since they also need to update their book often (it is called "TFP"). try shooting free first. if that does not work and you really really want to model, then go ahead and pay for a shoot.

YOU DO NOT NEED EXPERIENCE...... AT ALL!!!! :) ifyou have the looks, then you've got the job.

I hate to say this, but the person who responded above me does not seem to have correct information.

she said:

"You also usually have to pay for your port-folio, etc. these can be quite costly."

-->prints cost $.30 each 4x6. 8x10's are $3 each. you only need about 10 photos. i got into an agency with 4x6's.

she said:

"There are modelling agencies that will probably take her in, but they will get a percentage of her fees when she actually models as well."

--> agencies do take percentages, but it is about 10%. even if you make $100 an hour, $90 and hour after the percentage taken out is not that bad.

she said:

"modeling job will pay $150/hr. Model is shooting for 1 1/2 hours. That means, model gets $275 right? Wrong: modelling agency takes their percent, not to mention the clothing, etc the model has to go and buy for the shoot, travel costs to get there, etc. The model also may have to be there at 10 a.m. for make-up, etc. Photographer might be talking to magazine editors, etc. while she is there. Anyhow, model may actually be being photographed for 1 or 2 hours, but have been at the shoot for hours and hours and hours."

-->nope. the model gets paid for every single minute she is there, no matter what everyone is doing. they will even feed you. and no, you don't pay for clothes, ever. or make up. everything is provided when you get jobs through agencies.

so, an agency is where your friend will start her modeling career. or she can always simply shoot with photgraphers and build her book, either for fun or for showing it to the agencies.

experience will come as she tries to build her book. tell her good luck :) and that was sweet from you to help her out

Source(s): i model, and am signed with 2 agencies. if you need more info, holla back ;)
  • 1 decade ago

Not sure about the places in the area, I am sure there are some that she could get into. Another way you may want to support her though, is in being truthful about the model field. Modelling is time consuming for little money. (The time spent actually taking photos is good if you work for a big company, but the searching for jobs, going from place to place, travel time, travel costs, etc. cost money and are not paid). You also usually have to pay for your port-folio, etc. these can be quite costly.

Even models who work for big companies in NYC are only making a few dollars an hour when everything is added into it. Unless your friend can land a career with someone like Calvin Klein or Cover Girl, she is probably going to be quite disappointed. I am sure she is a beautiful girl, but there are MANY beautiful people in this world, and a lot of them already have contacts in the modelling world.

With all that said now,

First place to check out would probably be a modelling school. They could probably get her going a little better. There are modelling agencies that will probably take her in, but they will get a percentage of her fees when she actually models as well.

EXAMPLE: modeling job will pay $150/hr. Model is shooting for 1 1/2 hours. That means, model gets $275 right? Wrong: modelling agency takes their percent, not to mention the clothing, etc the model has to go and buy for the shoot, travel costs to get there, etc. The model also may have to be there at 10 a.m. for make-up, etc. Photographer might be talking to magazine editors, etc. while she is there. Anyhow, model may actually be being photographed for 1 or 2 hours, but have been at the shoot for hours and hours and hours.

Another down-fall of this line of work is that usually the jobs are NOT pre-aranged. The modelling agency will call 15 models, and say there is an audition for a company at 4:00 today. The model leaves in a moments notice with 15 other beautiful people who want to be models. Then the company looks them over like a possession or peice of meat, and chooses 1 or 2 of them.

The model just spent all this time going to the audition and preparing to be turned down my more qualified, better prepared, better experienced people.

I would not look for agencies right now if I were you. I would help her look into a modelling school instead. A place where she can learn to beat the competition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.