I have a 97 Chevrolet Tahoe that is making a humming noise somewhere under the truck around the bk & fr doors?

Someone told me it was the fuel pump and another person said it was the catilytic convertor. Does anyone know whats causing the noise?

it started about 2 weeks ago and I here it from the drivers side more than the passenger side and yes it does make the noise in idle when I first start it ther's no noise and as it warms up the noise starts and gradually get louder and louder.

Favorite Answer

I would have to say you are hearing the fuel pump run, very high pitched noise. These models were known for their fuel pumps being noisy. Try changing the filter, if it is cloged the pump has to work harded. It may make noise for a long time and never give any real problems. These are sold as a until with the fuel sending unit and pump installed, pretty pricey item.

Source(s): Had a 97 and a 98. Same deal.

If it is coming from the pass. side, it is most likely related to the fuel pump. The fuel pump on a Tahoe is in the gas tank and usually does not make much noise. Best way to find out is to put it on a lift or jack stands and check it out while it is running.

Did this hum start recently? Can you hear it from outside the vehicle at idle? If it's the fuel pump, it'll be humming while you're idling.

The catalitic converter doesn't usually hum if it's not leaking. It's (as far as I know) a passive device.

while you're under there change the fuel filter. a clean filter the pump will be a lot quieter as it doesn't have to kill itself to get fuel to the engine.