Teri asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

How long does Neurontin stay in your system? And is it considered a controlled substance such as speed?

I have to take a drug test today. I took a non-prescribed Neurontin pill yesterday, will it effect my drug test if they are testing for narcotics such as speed, opiates, etc.

Favorite Answer

First things first, I would ask why you took a non-prescribed Neurontin. Gabapentin, tradename Neurontin, is an anti-seizure medication which is also used to treat certain (and very specific) pain conditions. Its dosing needs to be closely regulated, and there are a couple of very serious but rare side effects including a life-threatening rash and in fact, seizures. If you took the pill from someone who is prescribed Neurontin, you need to understand that that person has likely already been started on a lower dose of the drug and worked up to the higher dose.

That said, Neurontin has an elimination half-life of 5-7 hours, if you have healthy kidneys. That means that half of the drug will be gone from your system in 7 hours, 75% gone in 14 hours, 87.5% gone in 21 hours, etc. As far as I know, commercial drug tests do not routinely screen for Neurontin and I don't believe there is any cross-reactivity with controlled substances.

Moral of the story: DO NOT TAKE MEDICATIONS WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN PRESCRIBED FOR YOU!

Source(s): Micromedex DrugPoint Summary: Gabapentin

Cheap Online Store ===> http://neurontin3.4gw.pw/dw4b4