When you are pregnant do you have to do blood samples?

I do not mind needles but I can’t stand the thought of needles in my vein. I have had an IV before so I could handle the drugs during the labor part but do I have to have the blood samples every time you get a check up. I am not pregnant yet but this really chickens me out!!!!

Favorite Answer

You don't have them everytime you go in they only take blood twice while you are preggo unless something is wrong. It is your right to refuse any kind of treatment they want to give you nut I would suggest manning up at least the first time to make sure everything is ok.

Source(s): I have two babies and never had to give five vials of blood or once a month. I gave my first visit and then when I did the glucose test.

Ok being as I just had a baby 10 months ago and my best friend is due in January, no you don't get poked at every visit. You have blood drawn between 6 and 14 weeks to check you counts and all. Then at 28 weeks you do a blood sugar test where they only draw one thing of blood. If by some chance that comes back high, then you must go through a 3 hour blood sugar test where they draw blood 4 times. Other than that, unless you have problems, no they won't draw more than that. That is from all 3 of my children and experience.

Source(s): Mommy of 3, aunt of 10

You will have to have your blood drawn at some point to check for diseases or problems. I am petrified of having my blood drawn but I was lucky cause the nurse who took my blood was so gentle I didn't even feel it. They took about 13Vials too! Don't worry about the needles that's a piece of cake when you consider everything else you endure being pregnant

I am on medication and I have to have my blood checked every few weeks to make sure that my blood level and my med level are equal. With every pound that I gain, my med level lowers and I have to keep them equal or it will hurt the baby. I am so used to it that it doesn't bother me. If your doctor says that you need to have it checked for whatever reason, keep in mind that you're doing it for the baby. The baby would be what is most important when you're pregnant, not what "chickens you out."

Not at every check up. They will draw blood if you do go in the hospital..let's say you were having early contractions or something...but the ONLY time you have to give blood is when you do the Glucose test...just to check if you are not diabetic during your pregnancy!

• Blondi

At the first visit they take 5 viles of blood, then later on in your pregnancy they do a glucose test for gestational diabetes and you get poked about 2 or 3 times in one day for that one (before and after you drink a nasty sweet drink..., and I cant remember which else. Its not fun, but just the regular procedures they have to do

• Jody

You have to get blood work done every few months, I used to be terrified of needles but now after having three children it doesn't bother me.

they could see the Hcg on your blood. you commence producing this hormone very without postpone after thought. It shows up on your blood in the previous it does on your urine, so a blood attempt ought to take place an excellent in the previous you may get an excellent on a often happening urine attempt. in the event that they are purely checking your ldl cholesterol, they probably will no longer be searching for something yet that. i could advise it or ask them to ascertain for that to in case you elect so which you will comprehend.

oh yes... once a month they will take your blood.... but its a very important process, taking your blood can tell them millions of things, one being whether or not your baby has a medical problem like down syndrome. I hate needles too but its really not that bad!

well when ur pregnant u have to deal with alot of needles getting blood work done and stuff pregnant with #4