Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Question for the ladies who might know!!?

Last year from July till Sept my wife and I were seperated and I had a affair with a co-worker. The co-worker got pregnet and wanted me to give up my rights to the child (but I did not). I left the job in November and she had the baby in May. I moved back home with my wife and two boys in October. My wife said she would support any decion I made about the child. We went to court in September and are fighting for joint coustdy of the child. Here is the tricky part, the judge ruled that I must pay support for the child based on the income from the job I left in November and was out of work from Nov 05 until April 06. So I am behaind in support dated back to May of $628 per month total of $4375 dollars. I know I will pay for my child that I help make and bring into this world, Any ideas would be great!!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

What kind of ideas are you looking for exactly?

That is just how the base child support. You can fight it in court and end up spending even more money in court and laywer fees or you can just suck it up. Just slowly start paying it off, that is all you can do.

• cookie

I'm not sure what it is you would like to know. You were ordered to pay child support. I'm sorry if you are not making the same money now as you were before. You must understand that the baby is here and need support. The courts don't care about your financial problems, they only care that someone picks up the slack for the missing parent in that child's life. My advice would be to get another job so you are able to support the child and your family as well. Good luck.

That's a lot of money! OK well it's great that you want to support the child and that your wife is supporting you too. Can you go back to the court and explain the situation and ask for time to pay? OK it'll take quite a while, but the child will need your support for quite a while so you have time. If you show you have good intentions then they may be able to help.

when you first lost your job you should have gone to court and filed and ammendment to your childsupport case they would have lowered you support according to what ever your income was providing you had an income i.e. unemployment, SSI, Workers comp, disability etc. The mistake you made was falling behind in arrears. If you can't prove that you have income for your support to be adjusted by there is almost nothing they will do except tell you to go get a job and bring back proof of income. Trust me I know, I have an astranged father who never got his support ammended and is now 50,000 in arrears. you need to jump on it as soon as you can because your arrears are gonna keep climbing higher and higher. And don't think about asking the mother to drop the case. The fact is She can't the system won't allow her to for fear she may end up on welfare.

• t24

I applaud you for being responsible for the child and your wife for being supportive of your child that is not hers. I think you should find a family court attorney and see what you can do about getting the child support changed to reflect your current income.

well i think this is a difficult posision and im sure it brings much stress on your relation ship with you and your wife. her is what i say. obviosly you cant pay for the child right now. i say dont worry things always have a way of working out. but you do need to adjust your payments untill you can afford more or this will hurt the family you are currently with now. worry about what you have right now what you live with every day.take care of things one step at a time. but deffinently get your payments adjusted

You can work with the courts to come up with a plan that will enable you to pay the support in installments. Or you can take out a loan. I admire you and your wife for taking this road.

• Asia

So you have no job to support this child?? What?? Do you expect your wife to pay for it?? This is your resposibility, not hers. Get a job and fix your mess.

But you can have that changed once it is ordered. You can have it adjusted to your new income. Each state is different, get a lawyer to answer these questions. I would get a DNA test first off, to make sure this is not for nothing.

You have gotten your self in a big mess.