Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicOther - Entertainment · 1 decade ago

What is your definition of funny?

I'm just checking... I'm in improv class... along with other things like regular acting and ballet... and i want to make the audience think that the show wasnt a waste of money. what do you think is funny?

Favorite Answer

I love sarcasm (Sam Kenneson) irony (Mitch Hedburg), physical humor (Chris Farly), and real life ridiculousness (George Lopez)

Intelligence is the key to comedy. The problem is that the intelligent humor goes over the heads of most of the people in this country. They only get one note jokes or slapstick humor. This is why Mind of Mencia(di di duh) and Blue Collar Comedy are so popular. There are too many stupid people here. This is why I would worry less about the intelligent humor unless you know your audience and work mostly on your timing. Timing is everything when it comes to comedy. Timing can make a very unfunny phrase into something that causes your audience to roll on the floor. Have you ever heard someone tell you about a funny thing that you found to be not the least bit funny? I bet they ended it with "you had to be there." That's because the timing was right when it happened but it was not when they were telling you later on. Humor is funniest when it is fresh and timed right. It is like fruit. You have to have it when it is ripe. After that, if the timing is wrong, it rots quickly. I joke that you have to think about too long loses all of its glory. If you think of something that would be funny but it is slightly late, save it for the next time instead of wasting "A" material by having bad timing. So, to recap: Funny=intelligent jokes, precision timing. Not Funny= one line jokes, slapstick and low brow humor.

While I find Carlos Mencia very funny. Movies like Grumpy Old Men are my favorites. There isn't cursing and I like that type of humor. The only 2 people who are being made fun of are the two old men in the movie who are making fun of each other.

If Void Equals Infinity Then mild (plasma) might want to be seen As >Nothingness< having a "Dream" knowledge might want to be a dream of the void Stars might want to be scabs contained in the textile of darkish ability oozing out plasma as blood from silent veins ~~~~ no longer too humorous? the gods are giggling!

Michael Richards rant. Thought he was going to have a stroke or p** his pants. Carlos Mencia is hilarious.

Funny to me, is something that makes me laugh so hard that my eyes water and i look like I am crying. It can be anything.

Something that is obviously contradicting itself to the point where one can not help but laugh at how ludicrous it is.

If they can make me pee my pants, they did a good job.