Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 decade ago

Do you believe that people have lost the true meaning of Christmas ? and why?

Favorite Answer

Yes I do.....I find that Christmas is just a $$ sign....what happened to spending time with the ones you love ....never mind materialistic things.....Merry Christmas to You!!

Yes, it's too commercialized now. You see all these sales and things to buy. When do people think about the true meaning of Christmas. Everyone just thinks about the gifts they will recieve and things they need to buy. I don't know, a Christmas tree makes me happy and seeing my family. I don't think people really think about the meaning of Christmas anymore.

Since I am in the process of converting to Unitarianism from Buddhism, allow me to shed some light on a different perspective. We do not take the Christmas holiday literally. Jesus was probably born in late winter or early spring, not in December. The holiday is based on an old pre-Christian era animist belief that involved bringing gifts. The fact that Santa is a symbolic figure of Christmas has no basis in Christianity and in fact, contradicts fundamentalist and literalist views of the Bible.

We are allowed to celebrate it, not as a literal birthday of Christ, but to mark the passage made by the Three Wise men in order to view the newborn King. We consider him rightly to have been a prophet and a healer and a King of Judeah, but he is not literally the Messiah. One can view the Messiah as coming or one can view the Second Coming as more significant. In Judaism, one is still awaiting the Messiah. We do not reject that belief. Others believe in the Second Coming of Christ but not in the idea of the Final Judgment. Anyway, we are considered 'heretical Christians' by the Catholic authority. I am talking the Vatican not Catholics.

Anyway, it is supposed to be a family holiday and not a materialistic day for gain. It is to celebrate the rituals of the early Nazarites and Gnostic Christians. Some of our belief system is based on their ideas and rituals. Ritual was much more important to early Christians. The discovery of the Nag-Hammadi is important in terms of our religious development, which was a fusion of Universalism, Protestant Reformation and Jewish philosophy as a reaction to Catholicism.

Well, I feel that our society has become very very materialistic and self gratifying. However, I feel that this is one of the only times of the year that people are genuinely nice to each other anymore. With that being said, as a Christian, yes, I feel that we have lost the true meaning of Christmas amid the flurry of shopping, gifts, and credit card bills.

I believe that people have lost true meaning of festivals. They are commercialized. The true spirit almost never comes out. Festivals have become frenzy, uneasy and stressful. The answer lies on simplicity, relaxed time with loved ones, family values and in having a true global human religion rather than dividing people into box of artificial religions.

yes I do.

I walk through the malls and see people pushing be rude and very grumpy. You never see anyone smiling and wishing anyone a Merry Christmas. It seems to me people forgot the true meaning

yes... when christmas has nothign to do with "christ"....something is more than a bit off.

it somehow isn't offensive to lie to our children about a fictitious man in a beard who brings toys, but mention "jesus"..and have the law come hunt you down!!!!!

i don't understand why non-christians celebrate christmas . i mean honestly. i don' celebrate hanukka (or however you spell it lol)...but i am all for the jews celebrating it.

likewise...we wouldn't expect a non american to celebrate 4th july would we???

makes no sense o me. the truth has been turned upside down 180 degrees it seems

YES, omg, it's so sad! I can't believe people want to take Christ out of CHRISTmas! People these days are so dumb, wait till the end of the world and then we get to laugh in their faces (just kidding).

Christmas had nothing to do with christ in the first place, its a pagan sun god celebration.

Now all sort of Pagan rituals are involved, Father Xmas, Xmas trees, christkind, Nikolaus etc....

And all these are used to extract money from us, to make the rich richer and the workers work harder.

Most people have. However, there are more than a few good Christians out there who still remember what it is all about.