Can someone please explain the liberal-koolaid connection?

I'm late to the game and not up on the lingo.

What the heck is with trying to insult liberals by calling us koolaid drinkers?

Isn't koolaid a yummy flavored sugar-water loved by all?

• Rich B
    Favorite Answer

As I understand it, it is a way to insult someone who does not agree with your political view, like the world is that black and white...

It refers to Guyana and the Jim Jones poison Kool Aid mass/enforced suicides. Poor taste in a choice for an insult in my view.

• Jim Jones and the People's Temple, November 1978. They all committed suicide by drinking poisonous koolaid.

It's a reference to followers of "rev" Jim Jones who pursuaded almost a thousand of his followers to drink poison Koolaid, committing mass suicide. It was in the late 70's as I recall.

This has to do with the mass-suicide of 900 followers of

Jim Jones in Guyana. They were brain washed by his

religious beliefs and they committed or were forced to

commit suicide by drinking KOOL-AID that was poisoned by cyanide that was put into the drink.

Accusing someone of "drinking the kool-aid" is a way to accuse somebody of being so blindly loyal to a cause that they would throw away their life for it. It is in reference to the Jim Jones cult that blindly followed their leader (Jim Jones) and drank kool-aid spiked with poison.

If you believe that George Bush is murdering people for oil, then you are "drinking the kool-aid". You are ignoring all facts, all reason, and blindly following some nut to your own demise.

The infamous Jim Jones and his cult. He had them drink koolaid laced with poison and they all died, they even made the children drink it. The guy was a loony.

Actually the people in Jonestown drank Flavor-Aid. A Kool-Aid like drink.

But Bill O'Rieley who started this whole trend can not even get this simple fact straight.

I've seen it thrown back and forth, equally.

I am not sure of its current usage, someone famous said it.

Whoever said it was referring to the Jim Jones Guyana mass suicide.

yes anybody who really knows what was done by Jim Jones wouldnt use that..but then somepeople compare things to hitler so I guess anything goes now days