Can someone help me with the meaning of this quote?

“Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, everyday, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity.”

Favorite Answer

This quote means that you should challenge yourself to break away from what everyone else is thinking and doing. Your mind will never grow if you always follow the crowd and never push yourself to be original.

WoW that is a nice quote, (mind if I use it some time?), for me it means exactly what it says, do what no ones doing, read what no ones reading,... In short, think how no one else is thinking. The mind would be a very bland place if no one thought new, interesting thoughts. If no one knew any interesting things or read fascinating works of literature. If I had never seen the play The Twelfth night I would not be answering this question and I would not have the love of the arts and works of old that I do, and if I would, not as much. The Twelfth Night made me want to think better, to understand more sufficiently. The first time I saw it, I had no idea who "Thou" was and I didn't know what they were saying at all, all I knew was that the entire thing was completely mesmerizing, and I wanted more. I am one of the only people I know who loves Shakespeare. I am one of the only people I know who finds ways to use words like, "Impetuously" & "Incouringable" in a sentince. Not in the same one, of corse. I am the only one that I know of who prefers broadway musicals to thriller movies, But I know that if I did, I would not have anything interesting to say or even think to say to anyone.

Be yourself, break away from the mold, be an individual, kiss barney the big purple dinosaur, yada yada yada.

• Stark

I think this quote means dare to be different. Don't conform to what society is telling you to be.

• =]

i think it means to be different from everyone else. break away from how everyone is, do things other dont do.. take risks, just be unique.

be independent, don't stick to the worn paths, loosen ties to any leader,become your own leader, don't be a follower.

just be yourself....get out and do your own thing. it's boring to be like everyone else...

Source(s): me