2000 Honda Civic idling loud/rough - timing belt?

My 2000 civic (100k miles) is very loud when it sits at a stop light, a rumbling, vibrating noise coming from the engine (no side in particular that I can tell). It's gotten considerably worse over the past 6-12 months; in the beginning if i put it in neutral, it'd quiet down, now it doesn't matter.

My mechanic can't hear the noise (he's out driving it again now), but thinks given my description/history that it's the timing belt and/or water pump.

Does anyone have any similar experience/thoughts?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Most likely not. These components rarely cause rumbling and vibrating. If the timing belt was indeed the fault, the results would be much more devastating. There are various things which you could check. Mainly would be the idling timing. Also, jammed air-cond compressors would cause extra load on the engine and cause it to vibrate during idle and acceleration. Lastly, try servicing your engine and get it flushed before filling in new engine oil.

Whith the information given, a timing belt is probably the best bet. If you have not experienced any overheating or loss of coolant the water pump is probably OK unless you can hear a noise coming from it which would indicate that it is getting ready to go. It would not as a rule cause the rough idle condition you describe.

If your belt looks OK, you may want to try and spray a silicon based lubricant in the center of your idler pulley... may be dry or worn out... since it is a 2000 ... may simply be dry because water somehow got in and washed out or diluted the original lubricant.

Source(s): This happened to my Nissan and this is what I was told to do by a Midas mechanic.