my teacher told me Francis Ferdinand is incorrect on a test I took is that true?

I put down Archduke Francis Ferdinand of Austria I know it's Franz Ferdinand as well but he told me Francis is incorrect is that true?

• Peach
    Favorite Answer

It's Francois Ferdinand, probably referring to the spelling as being incorrect?

Your teacher is correct. The man's name was Franz Ferdinand.

I see that MSN's Encarta gives his name as "Francis Ferdinand" (and maybe that's where you got it from?), but that just seems a little odd to me. It's one thing when a name gets translated from a different language, and we don't quite have the right way to translate it into American English, because we have a different alphabet or something. But "Franz" goes straight from German to English, same letters, so why would they translate it into something else?

his name at birth was Franz Ferdinand Karl Ludwig Josef von Habsburg-Lothringen.

His name is sometimes translated to English as Francis Ferdinand.

You were right!!

Refer your teacher to the following site: http://www.answers.com/topic/archduke-ferdinand

Source(s): Research

His name is sometimes translated to English as Francis Ferdinand

http://www.answers.com/topic/archduke-ferdinand

Well if he wanted to be picky lol, Francis is not the same as Franz. But its close.

I think that Franz is the correct answer.

Francis wasn't his name so even though your teacher knew what you were talking about and probably marked you wrong for it, you were wrong.

The finer details are important... remember that

If my name is Isabel I wouldn't want to see the english version of it as elizabeth

What was the question you were answering?