Prayer works, but why?

Is prayer like a call and sometimes god answers? Is prayer like gravity and it gradually pulls something towards you? Is prayer like electricity and it requires a certain "voltage" to activate it?

Favorite Answer

All three. A prayer (or a spell for that matter) is a focused concentration of a person's will. A prayer is a request to a higher power for help to make something happen. A spell requires the caster to believe that they themselves can make it so.

Both techniques raise energy ('voltage'), but must be combined with practical, physical assistance to achieve results. In either case the person must absolutely want what they ask for.

This is called "begging the question" -- asking a question that assumes a particular answer. It's not logical. But some things are a matter of faith, so a lack of logic is not the worst possible thing here, especially if you are aware of your choice to place your faith in the power of prayer. You've made a choice, and you are asking for justification of that choice.

I can answer with my opinion. I believe prayer offers us a way to reflect, to think or meditate, on those things that concern us. In imagining an all-powerful and divine God hearing our prayers, we're able to set aside some of the pressure to solve everything right now. And sometimes reflection and a little break from the pressure can work wonders. Many things resolve themselves.

I do not believe prayer is magic, nor that it is like gravity or electricity. All of your metaphors place you at the center. The power of prayer comes from setting the "you" aside and considering the divine, and from viewing your problems and desires from another perspective. For some of us, prayer is almost a reflex, a way of dealing with life, part of our thinking -- even if we are not sure of God or that we are due an answer.

prayer like a call when you are so close to god by obey every thing god say

prayer like gravity when your relation with god is un stable

prayer like electricity when you catch the best moment to pray

• Haha

Prayer works because you are believe that somebody powerful out there to help you when there really isn't. Just like having an imaginary friend and your giving it all your problems and telling all of your problems and you hope that friend will give you hope but instead your giving yourself hope

I think it's all about energy. Prayer is giving out energy to a higher power.

Prayer is communicating with the creator of the universe.

PRAYER WORKS......so true!

I think it works because you are sending positive energy and good thoughts towards something you want from GOD.

its just like air.. u cant see it but u can feel it... so prayer has not got any gravity or any crap like tht ... its a soul contact to God.

Prayer works, just like superstitions are true.

How about you pray a match to ignite, or a limb to grow back on an amputee.

Don't be a dolt.

You need to really examine what is really working, and what just seems to work.

I am not sure it "works." I read a study about people in a hospital who were prayed for by others. The people who were prayed for and told that they were being prayed for, did WORSE than people who WERE NOT prayed for!