Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 decade ago

dont you hate at christmas?

when you think your done christmas shopping, and find out someone has gotten you a gift and you have to go out and buy them one and you buy them a nice expensive gift only to find out they got yours at the .99 cent store?

Favorite Answer

I know exactly what you mean!!! Someone tells you they are getting you something so you rush out to buy something -- even just a ten dollar gift -- and you find out what they "got" you was a picture of the two of you or some cheap dollar store gag gift. It's almost embarrassing.

Anymore, if I really don't like the person that much, I just say "thanks" and accept the gift without obligation. Or, I make sure I have extra fudge on hand, a cheap $1 store xmas plate, and I wrap it together for them. It's a no brainer!!!

• angel

Boy, that is awful Spongebob. Don't spend so much on people this year. I sometimes buy little gifts to keep around in case someone comes over unexpectedly. You know Christmas is nice. When all the stores close on Christmas Eve and you sit quietly by the tree and enjoy a nice drink with your favourite music.Enjoy your holiday season.

It should be about the thought...not the cost. And so what if they got yours at the 99 cent store...why would that matter? The point is they thought about you.....

Christmas should be about spending time with the ones you love and celebrating life. So many people don't have what you have and would give alot to experience it for even one day.....Take your 99 cent gift and donate it..and maybe some of your time too........stop be superficial.

NO....I Love Christmas !!!!! and what the true meaning is......

Merry CHRISTmas !!!!!

No! I love Christmas and giving gifts to people! That's the best part but you are right a little when you say you have to get a gift for someone that's gotten you something but that doesn't really happen to me.

I've experienced what you experienced Spongebob. But, you can not let this ruin your holiday. That is one thing that causes so much stress around the holiday season...worrying about gifts and how much to spend. If they give you a gift, like someone else said, accept it graciously. Don't feel you have to give one in return. I know it is hard at first. Having enough money is always a problem for me around the holidays. But, I've been given gifts by peope that I barely know and buying them a gift would not even cross my mind. But it will happen, I guess that is life. All you can do I guess is remember them next year.

I don't hate Christmas. Then again I hate the commercialization of it. People need to calm down; it’s the act of giving not the expense of the gift..

Gift giving is supposed to be just that. Nobody should expect to receive presents. It's supposed to be about giving. It's NOT supposed to be a tit-for-tat thing. Give someone a gift because you WANT to, not because you're trying to even out some weird scale of equality in your head.

Thats why I hate christmas, it's about giving, not going out and getting to give because you got, LOL It's too commercialized and everyone needs to learn the real reason for the season.

Merry Christ-mas

If it something you can use it doesn't matter how much they spent. If its something they put a lot of thought into it doesn't matter how much they spent. What does matter is your reason for giving them a gift. A little food for your mind.

I totally agree with free_your fancy's opinion. Don't think of the holiday as tit-for-tat. If someone truly wants to buy you something, accept it graciously. You don't have to reciprocate. If it makes you HAPPY to do so, then do it.