Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Is there something wrong with me? Please answer!?

I am a very friendly person and I have lots of friends. But, I have found that I am more inclined to make friends with people that are really needy. Like they are going through a lot of problems and then I can be there for them to help them. I have always been the kind of person that just always wants to help everyone. I don't know if that makes me seem like I try to be better than others, because after that person gets what they need from me for a few months or a couple of years and I have been there to help them through their difficult time I find that our friendship fades off. It is sad to me at first, but after a while I don't mind, because it seems like I almost need people to depend on me. I have always been like that with everyone. Not like I am trying to be better, or anything. How do you percieve this?

Favorite Answer

I know someone just like you and I think it's a control issue. Notice how the relationship ends when you aren't "needed" anymore. If you want to help someone, do some volunteer work. If you want a friendship, base it on mutual trust and respect, shared interests. Allow your friends to help you also. It's give and take.

Been there, too.. Makes you wonder where these kinds of people come from and how they always find you out of how many people living on this planet.. Sounds, like you are a very giving person and that right there is what brings the others to you! You are there for them, when they need the help, listen when they talk and help out when or how you can. As for the friendship fading, some are forgetful/lazy and don't want to take the time, some figure they will owe you somehow and leave before that can happen and some just move on. You will find a few who will remain and become your best friends (like it or not, lol) . Best of luck to you and remember you will be rewarded someday, somehow, when you least expect it.

I went through this so many times! I thought that I was just being a nice friend and helping them out (which I truly was) and then I noticed that once their problem dissapeared or if for some reason I couldn,t physically be there for them, then they would kind of just drift away, and some even started saying some bad things behind my back. It has also happened where I would help out so much, that I was neglecting my relationship with my husband and not even caring about myself, and always being there for others. I have now learned that you can still be a good friend, but you always have to make sure that you take care of things that are going on in your life. Also make sure that people don't take advantage of your kindness because their aren't a lot of people out there like you. There is only so much one person can do to help others. So don't stop being a good friend, but always put yourself first before going overboard for others. And no I don't think you seem better than others for wanting to help, and if anyone feels that way, it's jelousy thats all.

Hope this helps the way you feel :)

After you've been there to help your friends, and have helped them through their trouble, they leave. Maybe because you remind them of the trouble that they went through?

I think that your perceived need for people to depend on you might stem from the fact that the people who have depended on you in the past have left, and you're looking for more dependant relationships because 1. It seems to be all you know, and 2. People who are not dependant on you, or are no longer dependant on you, leave.

You sound like a great person. There should more people like you in the world.

Ain't nothing wrong with anybody Baby Girl. People are just

different! It's the fear of difference, that makes everybody

make us feel like there's something wrong with us!

Don't sweat it!

Source(s): -deleted-

Your ready for the habit!!