lindi asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

physcis help me?

suppose you were an astronaut drifting in space several meters from your spacecraft. the only thing you have with you is a sack filled with "moon rocks". how could you return to your ship?

plzz explain

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Keep throwing rocks away from your ship untill you can grab onto the ship. The problem would then be to open the airlock from the outside because the reason you were drifting was because it broke off.

Assuming you make it inside, then there is still the problem of finding your "moon rocks" that you hurled away from the ship.

Good luck!

• DanE
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Take a rock and throw it as hard as you can away from the ship.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You are putting a force on the rock, the rock will put a force on you in the opposite direction, pushing you toward the ship. It works like the "kick back" you get when you shoot a gun.

• 1 decade ago

throw the rocks in the opposite direction that you want to go.

This will create a force to push you in the direction you wish to go.

This is all because of newtons 3rd (?) law. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So you throw the rocks one way, and an equal pushing force will be exerted back on you, in the opposite direction. Since you're in space, you'll start to drift away from the rocks.

• 1 decade ago

Easy. Throw the rocks in the opposite direction as hard as you can. This makes you to move towards the spaceship. This is based on Newtons 3rd law. Whatever force you have applied on the rock, it puts the same amt. of force on you.

In cases where you don't have anything to throw you can hold your breath and open your Oxygen tank in the opposite direction. The Oxygen does the same job as the moon rocks do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well... I would do this: everybody knows there is "zero-gravity" in space (well it is not, but everybody says like that). You throw your bag in direction of your spacecraft and hold yourself on it. It would drag you to the spacecraft. Maybe, this is my theory...

• 1 decade ago

All you guys are wrong.....:-) Newton's law is valid only for 2 system states. Please refer your elementary physics textbooks for a detailed reason. I'd suggest Resnick,Halliday,Walker....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.