i am USA green card holder how long can i stay in my contry in nepal?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A green card holder may stay abroad one year without losing residency rights. However, the US immigration inspector may decide, based on residence abroad and only occasional or annual visits to the US that that holder has abandoned his or her US permanent residence. In that case the inspector may try to get the holder to sign a waiver abandoning the green card and effectively converting it to a one-entry B-1/B-2 visa valid for six months.

The traveler should virtually NEVER accept the proposal and should insist instead on the right to consult a lawyer. Usually the inspector, or supervisor, will relent at this point.

A permanent resident alien can apply, before departure, for a "permit to re-enter the United States", which specifically allows absence abroad for up to two years.

Your question is ambiguously phrased. From the standpoint of Nepal (or the country of citizenship of any person) you are free to stay in your country indefinitely. The problem of course is with the US Government, not the Nepalese one.

The official information on this subject is here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_...

Aliens with substantial assets or income should be aware of the provisions of US tax law ("Expatriation to avoid tax") relating to certain taxpayers abandoning US legal residence.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Lookup Unknown Callers http://ReversePhoneNumberLookup.enle.info/?7di5
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You could actually be given a hard time by the INS if you stay out of the USA longer than a month or two. They will really grill you for info.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If I was planning on being out of the country for over 180 days I would get a re-entry permit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • you can just go to Nepal for 6 months. you can't stay any longer.

• LC
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You cannot be outside of the US more than 6months out of the year.

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Hi, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this discussion. valuable answers

• 4 years ago

Good question

• 1 decade ago

6 months.........or go to uscis.gov

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.