Jen asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Medications from 1-800-Petmeds?

I was wondering if the medications from 1-800-Petmeds are exactly the same as the ones that the vets offer? I recently bought a 3-month supply of Revolution for my cat from the vet for $75, and when I went online to check the price on 1-800-Petmeds for the same exact product (same brand name and quantity), is was only $45! Is there a difference in potency or something, or is this truly a bargain? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

PetMeds was recently under fire because their staffed veterinarians were writing scripts for drugs without properly examining or getting referrals from other doctors. The issue has since been resolved, and they're more careful about scripting out medications.

The good news is that there is no difference in the effectiveness or strength of the drugs. You still need a prescription from your vet - it's a simple as asking your doctor to either fax a script over or call the company themselves. They're cheaper because they're direct-from-manufacturer - no mark-up by the vet clinic itself. The manufacturer guarantees are still valid, and the products are the exact same ones you'd purchase at your clinic. You can even, sometimes, get some prescription drugs (like thyroid or seizure medication - the more common, maintenance drugs) in addition to your heartworm and flea medication.

Isn't that Revolution crazy expensive?!? We use it on our cats too, yikes...

Source(s): Vet Tech

Non-prescription medication from PetMeds is often the same quality but less expensive because they sell so much they don't have to have a high mark-up to make a profit.

Prescription medicatons can be purchased through Petmeds, as well, often at a reduced cost, but you still need to have a perscription written by your vet.

I wouldn't use Petmeds at all. There are other carriers you could use just ask your vet and they can tell you who would be better to use. Plus, the vet will not steer you wrong. If your vet can't help I would talk to a friend and have them ask their vet. Petmeds from what I have heard are not that great of a company and all of my vets have told me not to use them that they can be higher and or not send you the right product.

Yes the meds are exactly the same. Potency and expiration dates are all good. Difference? They buy this stuff in hugh quantities so they get price breaks from the manufacturers. Vets don't do that (they probably wouldn't have the room to store all that stuff). I have ordered my cats' flea meds from them for the last 3 years or so & the only difference is the price. Cool huh!

LL

I prefer to use natural flea remedies, but sometimes that just takes too long. I have used Advantage Flea Medicine and ordered from 1800PetMeds. It seems to the be same exact stuff and it certainly worked and was a whole lot cheaper than what my vet was charging or what the local pet stores were charging. I don't know about Revolution, but Advantage and Frontline, and I think Program, also, no longer require a veterinary prescription.

It is the same stuff. The difference is that they sell stuff in volume and can offer it at a discount. My vet actually prescribes for a couple of my cats through Pet Meds.com. for medication he doesn't stock in his office

Your vet may buy in small quantities and doesn't dispense in enough volume to get a discount on large volume orders. He can't afford to order more than he would dispense before the expiration date, or he would face a loss. Pet Meds.com is a reliable company, or I don't think my vet would prescribe through them.

Revolution is a prescription item. You can ask your vet to call it into Pet Meds.com or order it and have Pet Meds.com contact your vet. Either way it works and saves the consumer a bunch of money.

they are the same meds you get from your vet they are not exactly that much cheaper they come up with their generic brand to compare to the original but they won't ship to certian states.

• Yes---the same price---but for most things you need a prescription from your veterinarian. Just ask!

Source(s): I have used 1-800-petmeds

sounds too good to be true. Can you get pills for humans there