Is the Iraq situation worse than Vietnam once was?

Every time I turn on the news, death and destruction dominate the headlines. Peace will never be achieved in the Middle East, IMO. I don't remember Vietnam was ever that bad. If we couldn't handle Vietnam, how can we handle Iraq. Yes, it is a different time and a different war. But it is a war that we have been and are unable to handle. It is much easier to fight a country than a guerilla warfare like this one. So, what did we learn from the Vietnam war? If Iran want to take over Iraq, let them ! And we just bomb the hell out of them and take over their country, and ofcourse, oil. Justified and much easier than fighting an enemy we can't see. Or is it that we just can't handle Iran ? And by the way, why are we protecting Israel and have the whole Muslim world against us ? What does this circle lead us back to?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The War in Iraq is no where near as bad as Vietnam. Not in duration, loss of American lives, or the treatment of American soldiers by the US population on their return home. For a long time the US government even refused to acknowledge that it was a war so the military that served during that time could not receive benefits. I am watching and tryng to insure that the military serving today does not have to endure the treatment those young men had to endure. Israel has been and continues to be a staunch supporter of the US. The Muslims will hate us anyway, after all the majority of us are non-Muslim and do not conform to their beliefs.

• 1 decade ago

I would say yes. In Vietnam at least the Gooks were dumb enough to come out into the open during the Tet Offensive. It was made to look like a loss by the American media, but the Vietcong and NVA recieved many of thier losses in that offensive. In Iraq however, we have not had an offensive like Tet, probably because the insurgents know all they have to do is hide and wait until we leave to attack.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Iraq is better than Vietnam. At least we know where we stand and can start pulling out when it makes sense. In Vietnam, there was no plan for winning or removal for over 10 years until Nixon resolved it.

50,000+ Americans died in Vietnam, we are not even close in Iraq.

The lesson from Vietnam was dimished by the easy win in Gulf War I...war sucks and people get hurt.

• 1 decade ago

Vietnam got us Vietnamese who want their kids in the pentagon,this Iraq war will bring us the same.war is about who controls your mind.oil is just a hot fix until peace arrives.we can do better ,of coarse,but if the entire population is to exist,then the entire population must work as a cohesive unit.is there a preschooler out there who has trouble with this concept.

Source(s): pot smokers like george washington and tomas jefferson
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hi dn.dan, I'm with you.Tell the whole world how you feel. There's probably more than half who will be on your side. Go get them,and stick to your ground's.

Clowmy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.